Are there too many white people in Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jayson1, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking about how here in America we are starting to see a bigger increase in the number of latino's and people of color. Seems to me if that increase happens at some point the number of white people in the world will go down. Is it realisitc that over half of the people we see in trek is always white.

Seems to me trek should be more diverse if for no other reason than realism.

Jason

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Ugh.

This one will be on a very tight leash.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's from living in space for too long...or something.

4. Jayson1

I got to admit I don't know the science behind the issue. Maybe someone else knows it better. What will humanity look like in 200 years or so. Any chance we might develop any other races in the future?

Jason

5. fireproof78

There is no science behind the issue. Simply what casting was available or drawn upon at the time.

I would take more issue with the casting than anything else.

somebuddyX likes this.
  6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

What always gets me is that all Klingons are black people, even worse, most of the actors who play them are actually white people in blackface. Then again, I suppose this is better for black people than Planet of the Offensive African Stereotypes from Code of Honor.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  7. fireproof78

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse...

8. GabyBee

GabyBee Captain Captain

TNG "Code Of Honor" was probably Star Trek's lowest moment.

I work in theatre, and have experience in casting. White/caucasian tends to be over-represented in the arts (stage/TV/film) for many reasons, but it often comes down to socio-economics, as with many things. Actors tend to come mostly from the middle class in the U.S., often even the upper middle class. These communities are much more majority white in the U.S., whereas minority communities are more likely to be working class or poor. How and why these statistics are the way they are is a topic for another thread (probably on another forum), but they are a reality in the U.S., and that reality tends to trickle into anything and everything in our culture, whether overtly or more subliminally.

JasonJ likes this.
  9. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

There have been a few cases of artificial changes in skin pigmentation. Sometime this century and definitely by the 22ND century people's looks are going to be more optional than they are now. Changes to skin color occurred in a relatively short periods of time in our own evolution. I don't think it matters how they portray people, in terms of their looks. But I would like to hear more accents. We can, of course, assume that we're not even getting people's real accents and that they're all speaking different languages through the universal translator, but it would be a nice touch. Picard's exotic accent added depth to his character.

10. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

Actually it would be cool if the homosexual character had a futuristic sci fi spin to it. How homosexuality was a matter of a conscious choice with a simple procedure and a nice technobabble explanation of how we have completely altered our views on sexuality in the distant future.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That kind of thinking isn't cool at all.

Sector 7, Tomalak, JasonJ and 4 others like this.
  12. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I don't know. Are there too many white people who post on Star Trek forums?:vulcan:

13. alensatemybuick1

alensatemybuick1 Captain Captain

If ever a thread begged to be closed, this would be the one.
    A better question would be...are there "to" many idiots who watch Star Trek?

Six of Twelve and Armus like this.
  14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

This still does not look at things from a global perspective.

Kor

Nyotarules and Armus like this.
  15. GabyBee

GabyBee Captain Captain

Wait... what? How is this even tangentially related to the OP? Besides that it's just... factually incorrect.

Sector 7 likes this.
  16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Yeah, my usual policy is that if we're going to give one hot-button issue a chance in a GTD thread, let's not bring more hot-button issues into the discussion.

17. Jayson1

I think it could be a neat idea. What if sexuality was made a choice? I think most people are at least somewhat bi-curious by nature. What if people someday really did only look at a person's personality when finding a mate? Maybe bi-sexuals have become the norm in the future and hetro and gay people have become the minority.

Jason

18. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Strangely (or maybe not) TOS sometime did a better job of depicting a multi-racial universe than later productions. Yes the four actors at the top of the totem pole were white, but there were a fair number of guess stars (scientists, admirals) and back ground extras who weren't white.
    Oh, not even close. Personally I feel Code of Honor casting all Black actors was a good idea, instead of yet another all/mostly White alien population.

19. Jayson1

I am intrested in the question from a global scale. I'm not really sure what humanity will look like in the future. I just asumed someone must have done some kind of study to create some possible projection.

Jason

Sector 7 likes this.
  20. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen future predictions and conjectures that if you look far enough into the future Humanity will have intermarried/interbred to the point that we'll all be "one race."
    Star Trek could set a future series in a Federation male only penal colony.

Many of the inmates could then "choose" to be gay.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017