Apollo vs Borg Cube

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by marsh8472, Jan 2, 2017.

?

Who would win in a battle between Apollo and a Borg Cube?

1. Borg would win

50.0%
  2. Apollo would win

50.0%
  1. marsh8472

marsh8472 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was just watching "Who Mourns for Adonis" and was wondering how a Borg Cube would fare against Apollo and that big space hand of his. A cube is considerably larger than the Enterprise so there may be some difficulty there. And if drones beamed down to the planet would Apollo be able to stop them? Or would the Borg adapt to him? Who would win in a battle between Apollo and a Borg Cube?

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He's a God. He can make his hand as big as he wants.
    He would smite them. Gods love to smite.

137th Gebirg and USS Triumphant like this.
  3. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Picturing giant Apollo juggling Cubes...

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Maybe he can play craps with them.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  5. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

The crew's counter strategy was to home in on his power source and hit it with phasers, seems like the sort of thing the borg would be likely to try. I'm doubtful that they would fail to recognise it for the alien tech it was.

6. marsh8472

or perhaps try to assimilate the temple structure and then try to assimilate apollo himself.

[​IMG]

TheSubCommander likes this.
  7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Depend if the Borg cube has enough time to find the power source and assimilate it. Apollo would want worshippers and might delay destroying it until it was too late.

8. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Apollo isn't that hard to beat. The Borg would have him.

It's possible the collective might of the whole Greek god ensemble might have thrown them back tho'. I'd also like to be the fly on the wall if Apollo met with the BQ personally.

Vandervecken likes this.
  9. marsh8472

It depends how much he was holding back. "APOLLO: But you're of the same nature. I could sweep you out of existence with a wave of my hand and bring you back again. I can give life or death. What else does mankind demand of its gods? ". If Apollo can wave his hand and wipe out all of the borg then he should win easily. But his efforts to stop the Enterprise from destroying the temple were disappointing ( a few mostly harmless lightning bolts with Apollo yelling "stop!" a lot).

10. Spot261

Rather my point, when tested against the Ent's weapons, his tech floundered badly and he had little by way of defence and bear in mind that's a Connie. Scale that attack up a few orders of magnitude and its hard to see why the Borg would struggle.

11. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

All you need to be is rude to Apollo and the guy flakes out. And the Borg are VERY rude.

JoeCabby likes this.
  12. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I got the impression he was an alien with advanced tech, he wasn't a Q or anything-however his talk about fading into the wind and not dying as humans do implied to me he(and his fellow Olympians) either had a very different biology or were connected at least tangentially to the realm of the metaphysical.

13. Spot261

Or maybe he had a very definite sense of the dramatic

14. Greysun

Greysun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Apollo had a small flair for showmanship, but I think he was more Ardra than Q. I thought his green space hand was revealed to be a dressed up force field when scanned by the Enterprise's sensors. I can't imagine a force field would give the Borg much of a problem.
    The Borg might have been interested in the extra, energy-conducting organ McCoy detected in Apollo's chest, assuming it was something they hadn't seen before.
    A more interesting contest might be Apollo vs Trelane. They could each throw a tantrum when things didn't work out the way they wanted.

Vandervecken likes this.
  15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm as big of a TOS homer as there is, but the Borg would wipe the floor with Apollo.

16. Spot261

Greysun is pretty close to the mark I think, it would be very easy to lump Apollo in with Q, Trelayne, the Prophets, any number of TOS "gods", but doing so would be erroneous. He is portrayed as being, if not an outright fraud, then at the very least rather fond of posturing and giving the impression of far greater abilities than he actually possesses.

He is not omnipotent or demonstratably telepathic, telekinetic, etc, he simply has access to a technological power which in some ways surpasses 23rd century federation tech. Even the mysterious green hand is basically a fairly powerful tractor beam, which displays no feats beyond those of the equivalent Borg device. It holds a Constitution class, the Borg tractors can hold a Galaxy class.

His power source is insufficiently shielded to cope with 23rd century starship phasers, which in turn are no match for their Borg counterparts. His attacks are of ambiguous effectiveness in return and clearly would not scrape a cube.

So, on the basis of portrayed abilities and weaknesses, the Borg all day and that's without breaking a sweat.

17. Voth commando1

He did say though he didn't die as humans do, he wasn't just another alien.

18. Spot261

But die he did :alienblush:

19. Voth commando1

He "faded into the wind".

20. Spot261

Not a bad way to go