Apil 1st joke news items

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Serial thread killer, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

sorry wrong area.
    How do delete ?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Oh man, you got me, I thought there was going to be a news item in here. Good one. :techman:

3. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess this is a good a place as any for this story. This morning, a couple of our local DJs put out this story that at exactly 7:06 AM CDT that Jupiter and Pluto would be lined up in such a way that it would affect Earth's gravity and if you jumped up at 7:06 you would experience a brief sensation of weightlessness.

So I'm driving to working hearing this nonsense, all the while doing this :rolleyes:, but the worst part was that after 7:06 a rather large number of callers called in to the radio station and said, "Yes I jumped and I felt it." The power of suggestion is pretty strong amoung morons apparently.

Didn't make me too proud of my fellow mid-Missourians, I'll tell you. (Of course it's possible that at least some of the callers were trying to pull a joke too.) Finally somebody called in and busted them on the BS.

I hate April 1. :rolleyes:

4. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. gh4chiefs

Well that explains where they came up for the idea. It's almost verbatim, just the time changed.

6. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

My local DJs created a fake radio promotion for a new plastic surgery company, who fixed ugly babies. If you had an ugly baby, you could bring it in for consultation for surgery to correct the ugliness. I can't believe there were people who bought it considering the day, but apparently there were. Dumbasses. It wasn't funny. It was lame and annoying.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Americans are idiots.

8. gh4chiefs

Well if you read S. Gomez's post, it's not confined to Americans. The original hoax was done in the UK.

9. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the local waste disposal sites was designed to become a public park once it was filled. Alternating layers of trash and soil form the only significant hill in an community that's otherwise nearly as flat as your dinner table.

A few decades ago a couple of radio hosts thought it would be clever to broadcast a "breaking news" bulletin that decomposition had created an explosive accumulation of methane under that mound of soil and trash. They reported that authorities had ordered an evacuation of the neighborhoods and highway adjacent to the park.

On a much smaller scale the prank had an effect similar to that infamous Orson Wells/ Mercury Theater War of the Worlds broadcast.

The FCC was not amused.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's fucking classic. :lol: A bunch of Brits demonstrate what fucking morons they are and people use that as evidence that "Americans are idiots." :rolleyes: I guess we know who the real idiots are now.

12. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

That one's believable, too. WoW for consoles has been rumored for a few years now.

14. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

believable until you check out the link...

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

one fo the best games-related ones was Duke Nukem Forever being released on 3 3/4 in floppy discs, complete with a picture of about 120 discs for the whole game! that was on the official site, too...

16. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh, yeah. The link wasn't working earlier when I posted that, so I hadn't had a chance to look at Blizzard's "screenshots." Still, if you were to just hear the basic idea ("World of Warcraft coming to consoles!"), it'd be a believable claim.

17. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

I like the concept, then the actual game shots. :D Almost reminds me of Adventure for the Atari 2600. You see these awesome drawings, then you see the game and think, 'WTF?"

18. Garrett

Garrett Vice Admiral Admiral

The Molten Core one is probably funnier than the bard page, though I got a good laugh from that one, too. The MC page reminds me a lot of those old manuals from the NES days that really detailed artwork of the various creatures in the game, and when you actually saw them they were little pixelated blobs. :lol:

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

20. The_Book_Of_G'Kar

The_Book_Of_G'Kar Captain Captain

There was an article in the Metro this morning about BMW creating a car that can electrocute any dogs that urinate on it. I took this seriously until I realised half way it was complete bollocks. The guy who created it is called Dr Hans Zoff! And he calls the invention the C.R.A.P! And the person against it on grounds of cruelty is called Lola FORPI!!! It does sound possible though don't it? Lol.