Aoshima 1/2000 USS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-D MODEL

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by imranbecks, Nov 4, 2011.

1. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Collected the model from a local store a few days ago whom I pre-ordered from. I was really anticipating this model as I'd always wanted the Ent-D model with lights. And I must say, it was well worth the wait since I pre-ordered it back in April this year. Its beautiful! This model is a pre-assembled model so no assembly is required. Its a ready-to-display model right out of the packaging.

Here are my thoughts or a short review on the model, firstly the disadvantages of the model:

Some disadvantages I found on the model is the display stand/base (more on that later). Also the screws weren't covered, but Aoshima did include the small pieces of the ship's hull separately in a bag so we have to cover the screws up ourselves. This I think was unnecessary as Aoshima could've just covered them up before packing them to be sold. Another thing that I was bothered about the model are the two tiny yellow rectangular decals for the engineering section on either side of the deflector array. The RCS thrusters. Again, I think those decals were unnecessary.. Aoshima painted the entire model as well as those same RCS thruster details around the edges of the saucer section, so why couldn't they just paint that same part at the engineering section yellow instead of giving us decals??? Being decals/stickers, over time, those stickers may not last and mine is already starting to peel from the top.. Very disappointed with the decal. I think all of these were lazy on the part of Aoshima. Its as though they were rushing to release it, so they added in the sticker and the screws uncovered for us to cover the screws up ourselves..

As for the model itself, its no doubt beautiful. At 1/2000 scale, its neither too big or too small. Its the perfect size I think. Definitely smaller than the huge DST Ent-D. With the lights lit up, I feel like I'm looking at the miniaturized studio model used for the show... It sure looks impressive with the lights lit. I don't notice any light leakage. The lights are distributed fairly evenly. The neck section isn't brightly lit though and I really dislike the 4 red square "windows" at the bottom of the saucer.. Its supposed to be white like in the show! Its shown to be white on the packaging, but red on the final model??? What gives Aoshima? Enough of that, overall, the lighting system is way better than the Bandai model kits. Its like having my very own miniature studio model. Really wish those kits from Bandai had used LED's like this one.

The saucer separation uses the magnet, similar to the one on the Diamond Select Toys Ent-D.. The difference on this one is that the magnet isn't as powerful or strong as the magnet used on the DST Ent-D. But it does the job well holding the saucer. Just don't flip the model upside down without holding the saucer as the saucer will fall off, this isn't an issue on the DST Ent-D since the magnet used on that toy is amazingly powerful. Also, the magnet is visible on this one (its on the battle bridge) whereas the one on the DST Ent-D is cleverly hidden. By the way, the EL-BAZ shuttlecraft, though its not too scale with the ship, is a nice addition and is very nicely detailed. I like the scale of the shuttlecraft and it looks great beside the Ent-D on display.

Now as for the display stand/base..... Its a great design in that it holds the saucer and the battle section well. But nonetheless, I was expecting it to be better than this. Why? The ship is basically placed on top of the base, no pegs or anything for it to attach to the base. So yes, that would make the model very unstable. Place the model on the display stand on a table, and a slight bump on the table or on the model itself would just send the ship falling off and you risk damaging it. I was thinking of displaying her by the TV, but because of it being unstable on the stand, looks like I have to find somewhere else safer to display it. A nice touch on the base is the Enterprise-D plague in all its bronze glory, similar to the one on the bridge that we've all seen during the show.. So enough talk, here are some photos I took of the model... You can see more photos of the model here as well >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/imranbecks/sets/72157627909787911/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In conclusion, Aoshima did a good job on this model, but the disadvantages I mentioned above could have been avoided. Minor flaws, thus I highly recommend this model. It was well worth the wait and I'm happy with it. Is this a start of a new line of light up Star Trek models from Aoshima? If so, how awesome it would be if they would do all the other Enterprise from Star Trek or maybe even the J J Abrams Enterprise from the movie....!!! The future awaits, make it so!

As of this typing, the model is currently on backorder at HLJ.com >>> www.hlj.com/product/AOS08713

My video on YouTube of the model >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pebiiq8Sanc

Size comparison with the DST Ent-D....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

So, the smaller one is the male.

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Coca Cola.

All over my keyboard.

4. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was it really that funny?

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do you have to be that condescending?

6. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

good post and nice pics. thanks

7. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

That thing is awesome. Love it. Thanks for the review!

8. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Very cool model!

It really was that funny.