Anyone know why Elite Force 2 is expensive and rare?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Lange, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Lange

Lange Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi all,

Saw the thread about the free download of Elite Force 1 and was pleased wanted the elite force games for some time now as i've never tried Trek video games(other than star trek online) and i wanted to start getting into the games that were classics when activision had the license back in the day so I read. Im a huge video gamer(Wii PC) combined with my love of video games should be awsome. I wanted to compliment 1 with elite force 2 but unfortunately I hit a hurdle with obtaining it.

However anyone know what is up with elite force 2 and why it cannot be found easily? i checked ebay and amazon and a disc of it is 40 bucks with elite force 1 being around 15 which isn't bad considering its not made anymore however no need on 1 since I got the download. Also checked steam and thats unfortunately a no go which is wierd as big as those classic trek games are you'd think steam would want to sell them.

If anyone has ideas on how to legally obtain elite force 2 without breaking the bank on it for a used disc please share.

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Free download of Elite Force 1? Where?

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I gotta remember to check out what I've got for old discs. Know discs like this, the Armada discs, etc are selling for a ton, and I've got them collecting dust for the most part. Always forget to follow up and try and find/ebay them...

4. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Elite force 2 and Starfleet command 3 both fell at the starting gates when Activision sued Viacom in 2003 for not exploiting the Trek franchise.......so although copies of both games made it into retailers hands once the law suit started all prodction of Trek games was stopped while the law suit continued........and it took until 2005 for it to be settled, but by then the whole Trek franchise was on life support.

5. Lange

Lange Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wait what was the specifics of this suit? I read that activisions license to Star Trek was terminated back then by had no idea why which is a huge shame as activision had really carried the license and made the best Star Trek games today outside of those they have been weak to mediocre, something has to be said that the first real solid Star Trek game since the activision ones is Star Trek Online in my opinion lol.

Also outside of elite force 2 i am finding that many of the old games like Armada, Starfleet Command, etc are also very expensive and rare and its a shame really because I want to try the old acitvision trek games because they were so good and never had the chance.

Free download of Elite Force 1 isn't working for me so likely I will buy the disc, thats the only one out of that batch that is cheap and reasonable.

6. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Rather ironic really when Activision turned out some pretty miserable Trek games.

7. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Basically Activision sued Viacom for letting the Trek franchise go down the toilet pan, and becuase thay had done this the gaming rights licence Activision had paid for was dead in the water.........according to Activision.

8. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

It's kind of hard to argue with them.

9. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah yes, the lawsuit that ruined Trek gaming.

Bad times.

10. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

^^and the Interplay Fiasco just prior....

11. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

They were good when they were modded!

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Woah Woah woah. So your telling me all those old activision games are worth something? The box next to my leg which has boxed copies of Elite Force, Elite Force Expansion, Elite Force 2, Armada, Armada 2, Starfleet Command 1 and 3 and Bridge Commander is worth more than my boxed ST Micro Machines Collectors Set 3?!

13. Darth Thanatos

Darth Thanatos Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Stop there.

If you have an original copy of ST Armada 2, BEFORE e-baying it, go to www.fleetops.net and do a test run of that mod for STA2.

You may decide never to part with your original copy.

There is a thriving PvP community that play networked games on the tunngle VPN.

14. USS Mariner

^The only justification for why I still keep the A2 disk, and for A2s existence at all.

15. USS Mariner

Boot up Elite Force/Elite Force Expansion and take a stroll back in time...to Starbase 11 & the USS Star League.

Two of the finest gems from the Silver Age of Trek Gaming Mods.