Anyone doing Star Trek Online?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Gingerbread Demon, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

OK I need a new MMO..

I've dumped Defiance a week and a half ago and and now looking for a bit of new fun.

I have been looking at Star Trek Online and debating to myself if I would like it. I do like Star Trek but would I like this game?

So I'd love honest answers and thoughts on this both for and against the game. Would like to see what people think..

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It is free to play, so no harm in just trying it out.

You can play the entire content without paying aynthing.
    if you like it, you can augment your experience with store purchases later.

Also, we have stickied discussion threads for STO at the top of the forum for general STO discussion and TrekBBS guild/fleet topics.

3. Gingerbread Demon

Cool the main thing I have heard against it though is that that it is a huge money sink..

What can you buy in the in game store? Can you buy cosmetics and stuff, if so that I don't mind..

I'm doing Skyforge now too and kind of loving that.

4. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Cosmetics, yes, but also new ships, some weapons, extra character slots, bridge officer slots and inventory/bank storage.

The big money sink is lockboxes - they're an automatic random drop in the game, but cost 125 Zen (in-game money-based currency) to open (ignoring boxes of 10 for the price of 9). They give you a random (very low) chance at a super-rare ship (non-Federation, usually) or other special loot. It's basically a gambling thing, but you don't need to do it to be able to play the rest of the game.

Sadly there's no way to turn lockboxes off, if you don't want them, so if you don't clear your inventory out from time to time, they can end up filling it up (much like tribbles, or for that matter anything else). You WILL be advertised at, regularly, by people winning Lockbox ships - when they open them, a message gets plastered across any other active player's screen saying they've won. And if you DO win one, expect a few offers to sell them (usually at well below the price on the Exchange if you sold it there).

5. Gingerbread Demon

Weeeeeeeeeee Lockbox RNG sounds fun..

Just like Defiance and what they did with lockboxes.

I'm game to try this, and as the other post said it's free so if you don't like it just uninstall I guess.

6. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

My advice is to play through all the missions and get one character to level 60. That should give you a fair sampling of the game.

Oh, and remember to get a TrekBBS fleet invitation, we can help you get started and answer any questions you may have while you play.

7. Gingerbread Demon

OK downloaded Arc and my display name is johannadark.

In all my games I use the same name and character, and always play as female.

I noticed a button on Arc labeled "charge" I clicked on that and it said I can't do anything or buy a game till I do a tutorial. Can someone explain that? I thought Arc was just the front end of the game like Steam?

8. Gingerbread Demon

OK just posted this in the official thread

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never done MMO games but have always been curious about trying out STO. I'm off work all next week so I might see about getting downloaded at the weekend and giving it a bash.

10. Gingerbread Demon

It's not bad. It looks and feels like SWTOR..... I suspect the same game engine is underneath all the glitz..