Any way to check if an eyeglass prescription is correct?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by bigdaddy, Oct 13, 2013.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I went to the eye doctor for the first time in several years. They checked for diseases and such. However my old doctor checked numerous times to get the prescription, this one only checked a few.

I have had the new glasses for a few days and they don't seem to be that much better than my last ones which I felt weren't strong enough. However the old ones are so scratched up I couldn't tell anyways. I don't think my vision is perfect when it comes to reading the computer screen.

So before I call them up and complain, is there any way to check to see if my vision is correct and maybe it's just the computer screen?

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

My families optometrist has a piece of equipment that can measure new prescriptions for accuracy. It both maps the new lens with lasers for shape, and shines a light through the lens onto a sensor for optical "technobabble."

My uncle wears glasses, and they work for reading, watching TV and driving. But to use the computer, a distance of 3 to 4 feet, he actually has to put a cheap pair of reading glasses over the expensive prescription glasses.

The doctor simply can't seen to give him that 3 to 4 feet, and give him everything else.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Like Unspeakable said, looking at the computer is not a good way to check a prescription. Look at things at various distances, like road signs, pictures on the wall, and so on. If they're bifocals, look at some reading material, too. Then, if you have any doubt that the rx is correct, go back to the eye doctor.

I wear bifocals for distance and reading and recently got separate glasses for the computer. They really make a big difference. I can't believe it took me this long to get them! They're called intermediate lenses, btw. Some people get them as bifocals, so they can look back and forth between the computer and papers on their desk easily.

4. bigdaddy

They did that with my old glasses that were beaten up and scratched to hell.

I can't read street signs that well either, I feel like these are even weaker / worse than my old old glasses I'm replacing. And frankly I'm fucking pissed. The whole reason I went to get new glasses is because I figured I wouldn't be able to pass a road test with my old horrible glasses that gave me a headache at times. Now I have these new ones and after being awake for 4-5 hours my eyes just feel really tired.

I bring this up is the whole thing is covered by MassHealth, it's socialized medicine that actually somewhat works, unlike Obamacare, but that's a different story. But I get the low end doctors. My old doctor was "Ok is this one better than this one, how about this one? Out of these three, ABC, which one is best?" and he did that for 30 minutes until I was annoyed. :lol: The new one only did it for a few minutes.

I have no clue how much it costs to go and see another doctor, but if I have to and the other one says "Yeah they really screwed this all up", I'm going to sue the bitch for every penny.

5. little_chris

little_chris Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know how things work in America, but in the UK if you have are having problems your optometrist will check the prescription in your glasses to make sure they are right and even retest your eyes.

Also bear in mind an eye exam is a subjective test. The optometrist has only what you tell them to go by.

6. Tora Ziyal

Bigdaddy, how 'bout just starting with going back to the same guy and saying you don't think they're right. It may be that he didn't test you patiently enough, or it may be that he tested you accurately, but they made the lenses incorrectly. I've been given the wrong glasses three times over the years, at three different places, and they were all decent about it.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My eyes are so bad, I gave up on optometrists decades ago and prefer to have the eye exam done by an ophthalmologist. Those "glasses in about an hour" people who offer low rates can't do that for my prescriptions.

8. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

How old is your uncle? What you describe is normal for pretty much everyone over 40.

As we age, the lens in the eye becomes less elastic and loses its ability to focus at short distances. That's why most middle-aged people need reading glasses or bifocals.

I wear RGP contact lenses to correct my nearsightedness (I started needing glasses around age 8). I also use a pair of cheap drugstore reading glasses for computer work and, well, reading.

9. T'Girl

Bigdaddy, have you ever been checked for Diabetes?

It can make your vision change on a day to day basis, depending on your blood glucose at the time.

(unfortunately it runs in my family)

Early sixties.

10. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you are really bothered about it call the doc office back up. I'm sure he/she would be willing to see you again if you are not happy. However, it being a few years.. Maybe you're just not seeing as well as you'd like. Plus you have to remember if it's been "years" from the last time you went your eyes have likely changed a lot. new glasses would give you a headache for a week or so.

11. bigdaddy

It's a pain in the ass for me to get there. And the thing is they don't seem that much different than than the old ones, but I don't have the old prescription to compare to.

It runs in my family too and I'd say... 2007. As you can tell I really dislike doctors, plus the insurance got fucked up a few times. But I thought they were able to tell if you had issues with diabetes by looking behind the eye and seeing something.

I don't have a car and have to walk there, it's 4.5 miles one way, which isn't bad, it's just annoying because it's in a weird spot. Plus I'm going away for a bit on Thursday. It seems to be only written words and everything else is clear.

12. T'Girl

The optomitrist can look at the small blood vessels on the back of your eye and see if there is damage, but things other than diabetes can also cause similar damage.

What is called A1C test (blood test) is a better way to tell, grit your teeth and see a MD.

Or you could just have some bad lenses.

:devil:

13. bigdaddy

You make it seem like I could just call any random doctor and they can see me tomorrow. I need to find a doctor that takes my insurance, get the insurance to OK it then get an appointment and by the time I do my insurance will change probably twice. Got to love the USA health care system. My insurance ends in a few weeks I think, I then get kicked over to Masshealth, but when I get a Christmas job my insurance will change back, but then on December 15th all the insurances end because of ObamaCare.

I fucking love it. :lol:

I went back and they checked it and said I would need to come back when my doctor was there (Which seems to only be Fridays) so I have to go back on the 25th.

I knew I should have gone to the one further away. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  14. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've found that, with decent insurance, many doctors are happy to see an actual insured patient. It means they'll get paid.

You likely need bifocals, for reading and for distance. I had issues before I finally got bifocals. Mine are progressive lenses--I tried the line version, and kept focusing o the damn line! They cost more, though, but I like to see, you know?

15. Tora Ziyal

^ Interesting. I couldn't get used to progressives, but am fine with traditional lined bifocals.

16. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're like my husband. But then it's also a physical thing with the glasses. My glasses, thanks to current styles, are rather short top-to-bottom. Getting the bifocal actually in there is a bit tricky. Oh, for the big glasses of the 1980s! My husband has much larger lenses for his much wider and longer face, so his lenses have LOTS of room.