Any War of the Worlds fans...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Anthony Sabre, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

I picked up season one from Amazon last week. Surprisingly, the show hasn't aged that badly. Yes there is some cheesy 80s dialogue and the FX are definitely dated. However I've found that I still enjoy the concept and writing of the show. I remember this show creeping me out big time as a kid and it's still not a great idea to watch it while eating. It's amazing what they got away with showing. So far I've seen several bodies melt, eyes gouged out leaving bloody sockets, a face ripped off, a body explode, and corpses with the skull cut away and brain removed. The number of characters introduced in each episode, just to kill them off, is staggering. One lady had a crush on this guy and she finally gets him alone. Turns out he's just been taken over by an alien and proceeds to take her over too.

Season one is still the only season available on DVD. I read the premise for season two and now I remember why this show got canceled. It's too bad cause season one was good. The team is always a step behind the aliens and has to play catch up a lot. They seem to lose more than they win and that keeps it interesting.

Anyway, "To life immortal!" :evil:

2. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i faintly recall the show and the real change in direction in season 2. I remember it as the first time I saw a desert eagle.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I was a kid, I thought Lynda Green was hot. We didn't have cable, but in our area season one was syndicated on like CBS or NBC. But then season two went to this new station called FOX, and I didn't have enough tin foil to pick up the reception. :(

4. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first season was pretty good. Season 2 sucked ass though. The only thing remotely good about it was Adrian Paul. After the premiere killed by favorite character I pretty much lot enthusiasm for it though I did continue to watch. The two seasons in my mind are really separate shows taking place in different universes. They really don't fit together that much.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I can't remember, was there ever any pre-Highlander crossover between Adrian Paul and Philip Akin in this show ?

I enjoyed the first season, but the second season threw me completely. I just couldn't figure out why society had suddenly completely collapsed. If the aliens had something to do with it, it certainly wasn't clear. I may have missed something as ITV's showings were not exactly reliable.

6. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Season 2 was the coolest! Especially the episode "Synthetic Love".

7. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Philip, the guy in the wheelchair? I think he was just in the first season, but it's been so many years since I've seen the show, I could be wrong.

I remember liking the show way back when it was originally airing, but haven't seen it since it aired on skiffy, and that was at least 15 years ago. Might have to pick up the dvds, or at least Netflix em.

8. Jack Bauer

IIRC, they never really explained it.

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's him. Philip Akin and Adrian Paul were later in Highlander together.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never saw the second season because I couldn't stand on my head holding a mile of tin foil to view FOX back then, but I do remember in the commercials for the season two premiere Mason was saying, "Ironhorse and Norton are dead!" I don't know if they were killed offscreen or in just the first episode, but Akin and Paul wouldn't have been in any scenes together.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Ah, there was an attack on their HQ in the season one finale so I guess they might have been killed.

12. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched this every Saturday night along with Friday the 13th the series which is not about Jason Voorhees, Freddy's Nightmares, tales from the darkside.

13. Jack Bauer

Ironhorse and Norton were both killed in the first episode of season 2. I think Paul and Akin might've had a scene together in that episode.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ironhorse was killed by two cloned soldiers who were under alien control (as all clones are, in the WOTW-verse). Drake, Akin's character, was killed in the final siege of the humans' original resistance headquarters.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  15. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

At first I was very excited by the connection to the 1953 movie, but then I was bugged by the initial premise and its conceit that everyone seems either to have "forgotten" the '53 invasion, or else believed it be a hoax.

The novelization of the premiere episode does a pretty good job providing even more connection to the movie, including (IIRC) scenes with Clayton Forrester.

16. Anthony Sabre

What trips me out is how over the top Iron Horse is a soldier. He's a Lt. Colonel for Delta Force, or at least commanded a squad in the first episode. I've seen him throwing tomahawks, run an alien thru with a short sword (yes, a short sword) and take out a dozen aliens with an M16A2. The kicker was a scene in which an alien possessed human exploded and they showed the main characters one at a time. Blackwood looked horrified. McCullough looked devastated. Iron Horse looked like he just had a really good orgasm.

:guffaw:

17. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

The producers treated S2 as a quasi-reboot of the series, giving the original storyline JUST enough play for continuity purposes.

18. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Did you watch Werewolf?

19. Anthony Sabre

I watched Among the Philistines tonight. Really good episode! Don't know if you remember but it's about the linguist they recruit to the team and the compound ends up getting infiltrated. Norton displays his deadly skills with the staff. :D

20. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think the local station carried that show.