Any Permanent Starship Sets?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Plutodawn, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Plutodawn

Plutodawn Lieutenant Newbie

Has anyone built a permanent starship set anywhere? Like, out in the countryside, just built a ship, in hopes of it becoming a tourist trap or for a film studio to film at someday? Be nice to walk around a few stories of the enterprise.

2. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

James Cawley and the production team for the star trek fanfilm series "New Voyages" have a studio in Ticonderoga, NY which is a faithful recreation of the TOS sets now open for tourists, and a few other fan films have partial sets scattered around the world, but otherwise no.

Galileo7 and Tesophius like this.
  3. Plutodawn

Not for any sci-fi even outside of Startrek?

Man.... no wonder its so hare to get a new show going, be a lot easier if you can just fly the crew out, film a few days to location, then hightail it back to studio.

CBS needs to buy a old missle silo and just make each level a differenr starship, and mothball it when not in use. Infinite webcam show potential, decades worth.

4. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is my goal if I ever win Powerball. I even once made up a list of rooms I'd like to see that we've never seen before. Including the Main Shuttle Landing Bay. John Eaves did a very nice rendering of what he thinks the Enterprise-E's should look like. The entire thing would be several decks high. Including Flag VIP quarters where my suite would be. Think Flag Admiral's quarters.

Galileo7 likes this.
  5. Griffeytrek

Griffeytrek Captain Captain

as a general rule, no. There was sort of one in the Star Trek experience in Las Vegas. Now closed and dismantled. For non Star Trek the closest you might come is a fairly recent creation. Disney/Lucasfilms just created a 1:1 scale full Millenium Falcon, interior and exterior, for use in the new trilogy. It's a bit more permanent than they normally build sets, so rumor is it will become some sort of tourist attraction eventually. If nothing else it serves as the test bed for intended full scale Falcon's to be placed in the California and Orlando Star Wars themed Disney parks currently under construction. (These were originally planned to go into the central building in Tomorrowland that houses the People Mover, before the new SW Theme Parks were announced. So they are probably further along in development than most other things for the new parks.)

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't the bridge of the USS Defiant (as seen in "In A Mirror, Darkly") originally built by a fan who loaned it to the ENT showrunners for filming?

And I'm fairly sure that what little we see of the original Enterprise bridge in "Relics" was also fan made.

7. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

The captain's chair and helm/nav console were fan-made. The engineering station and turbolift alcove were built by TNG's production staff for the episode, and the rest was accomplished with bluescreen and compositing footage of scenes from TOS where the bridge was photographed empty.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Constitution_class_sets#.22Relics.22

8. Plutodawn

Build it out of plyboard, then for the outer shell rebar and cement it, so it never leaves.

Also include airholes, don't want people in Engineering dying from suffocation.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Aren't you conflating "Relics" and "In A Mirror, Darkly"?

10. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Sorry, you're right. For IAMD, they built 3/4 of the bridge, from scratch, but borrowed the captain's chair and helm/nav station again (not sure if it's the same one from "Relics" or not).

11. Jedman67

I thought they rebuilt the whole (3/4, fine) thing themselves? You can check out Doug Drexlers facebook page, he has plenty of pictures from that.

12. Jedman67

That's not how filmmaking works, sorry.
    It's normal for large budget films or TV shows to do some "occasional" on-location filming, big city exterior streets, prominent locations, etc; but for a day to day show, it's far easier for the crew to build sets in a studio, where you have instant access to lighting setup, construction crews, sound crews and can get dailies immediately.
    Famous star trek locations, like OPS in DS9 or the Hero bridges had sections that could be pulled out so you could get good camera angles on the crew, open ceilings so you could project lighting and hang mics, trails of power cables, etc.

13. Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are some people who have converted bits of their home into starships. There was a guy in England, Leicester I think, who was in Trekkies 2 (albeit I think it's gone now) and there is a guy in Colorado somewhere who have bother converted there home into their own interpreted starship interiors. Probably others as well.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  14. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Slightly off topic I think-
    I did get a chance to see the Tom Baker TARDIS set when it was on exhibition in London. They had some protective covers over some of the control panels but I was able to actuate some switches and have some lights turn on and off. A lot of the hight tech looking features were just rule tape on plexiglas.

15. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the very least, I know they "borrowed" the pop up helmsman viewer thing from "New Voyages" and never returned it. I think it got sold in the big Paramount auction eventually.

16. Jedman67

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Galileo7 likes this.
  17. Griffeytrek

Griffeytrek Captain Captain

It doesn't really work that way. Most of what we think of as "The Set" is actually the Cheap Part of the whole thing. The stuff that looks like the spaceship panels etc. But to use it as an actual production set it needs all kinds of special rigging and scaffolding and infrastructure. That's why so many of the Star Trek shows filmed on the same studio sound stages. Those stages had special unusual shapes (for TV) that allowed them to create the things like the bridges and engine rooms. (Most TV Soundstages are not meant to film in the round the way the classic ST bridge set could be.) They couldn't just walk onto something built as a tourist display and film in it. They wouldn't be able to light it, or control camera angles, etc.

Jedman67 likes this.
  18. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Wasn't the standing sets for TNG built underneath the same rigging used for the Refit sets and then those were recycled for later shows in turn. I remember something about how the complex lighting cost was saved by this...
    They built the new bridge where the old bridge once stood

19. Jedman67