Any other TOSers give up post-Abrams?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by jayrath, Feb 9, 2010.

1. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not to renew complaints or beat a dead horse, but-

I just don't care anymore where Trek goes. For me it's now all locked up in the past; a very pleasant past which I'll continue to enjoy, again and again.

I did not care for the film, I wish them all luck, and I'm glad that a new audience has been found -- but it is not my Trek. I'm retreating to my DVDs and novels.

(And let me add that today's news that fans are "incensed" that the recent movie didn't get an Oscar nod for best picture is laughable.)

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Essentially how I feel. But post Abrams? HA! I basically gave up during the fourth season of TNG. :lol:

3. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is a TOSer exactly? I mean, I love the show, but I love a lot of the TV Trek that followed, and I like the movie. I don't love it, but then again I have loved none - absolutely none - of the movies.

Anyway, in answer to your OP, no, I haven't given up on it, and I don't really see why you should, either, even if you don't like Abrams' version. I mean, sheesh, who's to say what's going to happen in 10 years? Or 15? None of this is written in stone. None of it. It wasn't when GR was alive and it's not now.

4. S'kai

S'kai Captain Captain

Absolutely not. Star Trek TOS is alive and well and known as Star Trek Phase II. Being involved in its production keeps it fresh, since there are new stories, and we have kept both the form and the essence of the original.

5. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Best Trek in years imo. Finally we are back to basics..

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

if you're talking abrams, it is basics all right. Trouble is, it is descended to basics, not back to them.

Yeah, I'm done with it too. I still have an academic interest in TOS and the features, and even some elements of what we used to call ModernTrek, like DS9.

But this new thing plays like STARSHIP TROOPERTREK to me, but without the Verhoeven pic's saving-grace mocking vein or its stupendous miniature work. So there ain't much to salute from where I'm standing.

7. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

'New' Star Trek has been irrelevant since ST:Borager came out. There was a wee bit of hope for a moment or two in Enterprise, and a couple of the later movies - but, after that...pfffft...

8. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think allllll of the movies are Trek Lite. Even the ones with high concepts (TMP, Generations) are deeply flawed, IMO, and not all of them were all that dang deep to begin with. And yes, that includes TWOK. Especially TWOK.

I am saying this not to insult movies that other people here love because of course "deep" and "flawed" are purely in the eyes of the beholder. What I'm trying to say that is that I am absolutely sure some people (and I am not referring to the OP since I don't know him/her) are taking this all way too seriously.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, I'm a TOS fan from the beginning and I'm more interested in what happens next with Star Trek than I have been in many years - and that's thanks to Abrams's movie.

10. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I'm guessing someone like me who rarely discusses the existence of Trek after TOS. Holding myself up as an example and doing a (not so quick) search, this is what I found...
    183 posts Star Trek - Original Series
    1 post The Next Generation
    0 posts Deep Space Nine
    0 posts Voyager
    0 posts Enterprise
    9 posts Star Trek Movies I-X
    86 posts Star Trek Movies XI+​
    And that is just for forums that are specific about which Trek is being discussed, most of my posts are in the Fan Art section and are almost all dealing with TOS related stuff. I also have a lot of posts in the Trek Tech section, and all of those are generally TOS related as well.

I watch most Trek (TNG after the second season, most of DS9, a lot of Voyager and Enterprise, and most of the movies), but generally I only discuss TOS. I'm an active TOS fan and a rather passive fan of the rest of Trek. I was interested in Trek XI when it had the potential to be something interesting for me, but that didn't pan out and while it was an okay movie, I haven't had any compelling reason to discuss it since last summer (or even get a copy as of yet).

As for the original topic... Trek is like food. Some of it I like/love and can't get enough of, and some I've tried and it left a bad taste in my mouth... and I'll be staying away from that flavor in the future. But I'm always willing to try something once. And what I'm in the mood for is different from day to day.

TOS is TOS, anything else isn't... even if the film had been quite faithful to TOS, it would still be something else. I love the work done over at Phase II, Exeter and Farragut, they feel very TOS-like, but they still aren't TOS.

I like Trek, so I'm willing to give any Trek a try... but I don't expect any of the new stuff to be TOS. I think that is just an unreasonable expectation to put on any Trek (that isn't already TOS).

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    No, I'm not going to give up Trek just when it has become fun again.

12. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too.

13. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I take each Trek project on its own terms. TOS is my favorite Trek series, and Abrams' Trek film is my favorite Trek film since TMP.

I haven't "given up," but I also have no expectations that any particular future project, regardless of its director, will or will not be enjoyable on its own terms.

14. ipirate65

ipirate65 Ensign

I'm know I'm not alone in being old enough to remember some of the TOS when it first aired.

There has been a lot of good Trek since then and a lot of stinky Trek.

I think the latest movie breathed new life into the franchise and I'm very excited about it. It's the characters I grew up with, but it's totally new stories and fresh material.

15. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

I started watching Trek in 1966, and I saw the recent movie 21 times. So, no problem with J.J. here. I loved it.

16. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Given up on Star Trek? Not by a long shot.

Given up on AbramsTrek? Yeah, the prospects of anything coming out of that pit with an IQ higher than a typical episode of Teletubbies is pretty remote.

17. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

These pretty much sum up my thoughts as well. I never quite understood the bile piled onto all the series and films by what has become factions in fandom.

I grew up on TOS. I have been entertained and sometimes even impressed by what has come since then.

The fact that Star Trek is still relevant a generation later makes me hopeful for the future of Star Trek.

I think the new film brings back a lot of that hope.

There is no question that the formula had gone stale, and I think this new blood is the kick in the pants that Trek has needed. I don't think the new film is perfect, but it scored on many levels with a lot of fans like myself and got younger people interested in Star Trek the way we were back in the day. If this next film is as successful, then Trek has a new beginning and we can either embrace it or discard it as we wish, but we can't deny it.

I don't mind that Trek has evolved. Each incarnation has had some tangible twist on TOS to some extent, while taking on its own identity. Frankly I don't have a problem with that. When it's good, it's good. It doesn't matter which series or movie it is.

18. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

What I saw was not evolution, it was regression.

19. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

And you're welcome to have that opinion.

But don't think you're speaking for anyone other than yourself.

20. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course, YMMV :)