Any Love for Insurrection?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Gojira, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

This movie seems to get a bad rap. I'm watching it again today for the second time in a row. It actually is my favorite next generation movie. I think it has a good story, good action, good special-effects, some drama and even some humor. It is all wrapped up in a very good story that questions the rights of people and the moral behavior of the Federation. Plus, as a Buddhist, there are many philosophies mentioned in the movie that appeals to me. Well I can admit it does seem like a big budgeted episode that doesn't particularly bothered me and I enjoyed the movie. Oh, and I forgot to mention… Donna Murphy as Anij, is a very lovely looking woman.

2. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

3. Gojira

Okay, why not?

4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because it's an overblown TV episode.

Kor

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kind of liked the Gilbert & Sullivan sequence.

BillJ likes this.
  6. Gojira

But an enjoyable overblown TV episode, atleast for me.

7. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ditto on this. It's unfortunate that Paramount really blew it on the TNG movies. The films were uniformly bad and inconsistent with the characters established through the series' 7-year run. Insurrection ranks more or less at the bottom of this dismal pile, though Generations and Nemesis aren't too far astray. And yes, even First Contact was steaming. It's ironic that in a film of that name, the Enterprise crew willingly and flagrantly tells everyone about the future, not seeming to care that they are decidedly altering the timeline.

To me, TNG ended with "All Good Things", because that's why the episode had that name!

[/rant]

Qonundrum likes this.
  8. Gojira

How do you feel the characters were inconsistent?

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Not really, as others have said it's basically an overblown TV episode. It just feels a little flat with little to no ambition. NEM for all it's flaws at least tried. If I had to rank the TNG films

FC
    GEN
    NEM
    INS

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  10. WarpFactorZ

Maybe not all the characters, but the two they chose to put front and center definitely were. Picard goes from being a wise and cautious leader to John McLean from Die Hard. Data also activates a new action figure subroutine. The other characters were so blah that they blended in with the background.

11. Gojira

Movies like this may need more action than what a TV show had, so I think they set up the circumstances that justified their behavior.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  12. WarpFactorZ

But if you have to change the fundamental nature of the characters to draw in an audience, what's the point.

Again, in my head canon, the last time we saw Picard et al. was dealing a hand of poker and sailing off into the sunset. YMMV.

13. Gojira

I don't think they did change his fundamental nature to me. Throughout the series both he and Data displayed these characteristics at different times.

14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I loved the cinematography.

15. Gojira

Me too! I loved the scene at the lake. The mountains in the background are stunning. Do you or anyone know where that part was filmed?

16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

According to IMDB, they filmed the Ba'ku scenes at Sherwood Lake, in California. They shot the scenes where Data first enters the water at Convict Lake, in California:

Convict Lake (Data entering the water scenes)
    [​IMG]

Lake Sherwood (Ba'ku village scenes)
    [​IMG]

Nyotarules likes this.
  17. Gojira

^ Thanks! That looks great!!!

Amaris likes this.
  18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It didn't take advantage of the format. As others have said, it was a TV episode with a huge budget.

And who cares about these middle-class white people being relocated?

Compare to Star Trek Beyond, similarly largely planetbound, but with larger scope and higher stakes.

Shaka Zulu, BillJ and KennyB like this.
  19. LJS1138

LJS1138 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I admit to enjoying Insurrection, even though the plot was all "buh". For the TNG movies, I'd go First Contact, Insurrection, Generations, then Nemesis. I really dislike Nemesis.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

The main criticisms (see above) of INS can't really be refuted, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

It's probably the least rewatchable of all the TNG movies, even including NEM.