Any fans of Space Quest/Old School adventure games here?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Commander Kielbasa, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Commander Kielbasa

Commander Kielbasa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not a big gamer really - I couldn't tell you what's hot or new in games; I tend to stick to my old favorites. One of the best game series I've ever played is Space Quest, which was a really funny, well designed sci-fi/comedy series by a company called Sierra On-Line. I think you guys would love it - it references Trek in a lovingly lampoonish way, along with tons of other (even obscure) sci-fi references. Am I alone here in enjoying this series, or being a big adventure game fan?

2. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

You might want to check out your previous Space Quest thread.

3. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

you might also be interested in other Roberta & Ken Williams/Sierra-developed adventure games

4. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

By no means are you alone - my favorite are Infocom / Z-Machine games, but I also love the old Sierra games: Space, King, Police Quests, Conquest of Camelot, Leisure Suit Larry, Gabriel Knight, and all that. And also the LucasArts SCUMM stuff like Day of the Tentacle and Beneath a Steel Sky. :D

Didja know the guys who did the Space Quest games are doing a new one in the same style called SpaceVenture?

Also, if you haven't played them, you might want to check out Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. There's a certain familiarity to their style of play for us old grognards. ;)

5. juventuz

juventuz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I backed that game on Kickstarter, back in May of 2012. It's been 5 years and we still don't have the game. I'm pretty disappointed with how they handled everything. I loved Space Quest, as well as all of the other old Sierra games, heck I just went back and played the first 3 LSL games last month, but they've totally soured me to backing any more games on Kickstarter.

6. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

My understanding is that there have been some medical issues, and one of the Guys had a loved one pass away. My wife backed it in 2012, too, intended it as a Christmas present for me, with both of us aware that it would be a delayed one. It's been very delayed, obviously. And I've been burned before on a pre-order item like this. But if anything, that experience, and watching what has happened with Star Citizen, leads me to believe that this one *isn't* a scam. So I'm being patient. It helps that there's a lot of other cool stuff to play with in the meantime. ;)

7. juventuz

Oh I agree, I'm still looking forward to it, but their updates are usually very lacking of any real information.

At least I still have all my old Sierra games still so I can go back and re-play those to get that old school feeling.

8. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

^ I didn't know it was possible to play those old school games on modern computers.

I played the first versions of Space, Police and King's Quest. My favorite adventure games were Grim Fandango and Blade Runner.

Recently, I played Monkey Island and Beneath a Steel Sky again on my Iphone. I do hope other retro games will become available as well. I'd love to play Commander Keen again.

9. juventuz

You can pick up the games in GOG.com or through Steam. They will usually sell the games dirt cheap. If you still have copies of the disc there are DOS apps out there that will let you play the games as well, like DOSBox.