Angela Lansbury has passed away

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Random_Spock, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

:(

This one hits very close to home for me. Rest in peace. :weep:

auntiehill and StarCruiser like this.
  3. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Gutted.

The greatest actor - man, woman or child - I've seen. Anyone who could steal a movie from Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer - aged 19 - is a very rare talent. She was extraordinary in all her roles; impossible to pick only one, but if there's ever been a more utterly sinister, genuinely evil villain than her Mrs Iselin in The Manchurian Candidate I'd be very surprised.

The fact so many will only know her from Murder, She Wrote is pretty dismal (and the "jokes" that are already out there are pathetic, but anyway). She was so much more than one long-running TV role.

Requiescat in pace, and thanks for the incredible memories.

4. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, she was awesomely evil in The Manchurian Candidate. Rest in peace.

5. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

An extraordinary entertainer.
    RIP.

StarCruiser likes this.
  6. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Arguably the greatest musical theatre actress of all time, played one of the greatest villains in screen history and made Murder She Wrote worth watching for 12 years.

StarCruiser likes this.
  7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

:wah:

An Icon passes.

RIP, dear lady....

StarCruiser likes this.
  8. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Almost forgot. She also gave us one of the greatest performances in screen history. Salome Otterbourne in Death On The Nile.

publiusr, auntiehill and StarCruiser like this.
  9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Rest in peace, Angela Lansbury. :(

auntiehill and StarCruiser like this.
  10. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I agree but also I still love that silly show and still enjoy watching it. I was literally watching an episode tonight (Roddy McDowell was the murderer!) when I learned of her death. She was just so fun in it.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks was a childhood favourite too.

11. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I grew up watching Murder, She Wrote with my mom. We liked it ok, it's one of the murder/mystery shows we watched together and bonded over. :)

Loved her in Beauty and the Beast as well. It was my gateway musical as I was growing up. Enjoyed both her and Jerry Orbach in it.

Just came across some wonderful bts footage from Beauty and the Beast. It's a fascinating watch.

https://twitter.com/jamesholod/status/1579919451386183682?t=JUJLjFz6WrBiFVghxndrfw&s=19

Another clip

https://twitter.com/DannyDeraney/status/1579974593569517570?t=iVNzpQ1vNEC0-cWsETtOiQ&s=19

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    cardinal biggles and StarCruiser like this.
  12. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I think the first movie I ever saw her in was a double bill of "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" and "One Our Dinosaurs is Missing".

Then, of course, was "Murder, She Wrote", which teamed up with "Magnum P.I."

Her younger brother, Bruce, produced "The Wild Wild West", and seasons five and six of "Mission: Impossible".

R.I.P.

Random_Spock and CorporalCaptain like this.
  13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Another person who grew up watching Murder, She Wrote but I will always be in awe of her performance in The Manchurian Candidate.

Not many could swing from evil, cruel ladies to one of the sweetest and make it believable, but she did it. Considering I grew up on the sweet lady, it was soooooooo jarring to see her in roles like Mrs. Iselin.

We've lost a legend today. Rest in peace. :(

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I was a regular Murder, She Wrote watcher as well, but I'm curious to know how many others here have seen the old movie The Mirror Crack'd, in which she played another amateur sleuth, Miss Jane Marple? Since I saw it, Ms. Lansbury is who I picture when I read Agatha Christie's Miss Marple stories.

15. urrutiap

urrutiap Captain Captain

the only things I know Angela Lansbury from are from the Pirates of Penzance movie, her Murder She Wrote show and that one weird old Disney movie Bedroom Bedknobs whatever it was called

16. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I love Murder, She Wrote (I'm watching an episode as I type). It may have utilised a mere fraction of Ms Lansbury's astonishing talent, but it was always entertaining and seeing her interact with so many of her mates from stage and screen is always a joy. It's fashionable to look down on the show, but I'm an unapologetic fan.

I have, several times. Talk about an all star cast, but she was by some distance the best thing about it. IMO, anyway.

17. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Earlier this year I bought the Frank Sinatra version of Manchurian Candidate on Blu-Ray. She was superb in that. And of course - Murder She Wrote. Ever since I read the news on the BBC website this morning I've had that theme, dancing around my head. Rest in Peace Dame Angela.

Admiral2 likes this.
  18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Jessica Fletcher dead? I vow to never rest until I find out whodunit! :(

RIP, Angela Lansbury.

Random_Spock likes this.
  19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Moving on to the next journey for Miss Lansbury.

One of those rare talents with too many great performances to list--and never limited to one genre or character type. Class A performer.

Random_Spock, Admiral2 and auntiehill like this.
  20. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Agreed with @Orac Zen; even with an all-star cast including the likes of Liz Taylor, Tony Curtis, and Rock Hudson, Angela Lansbury was the best thing about that film.

I think one place we missed out was Lansbury not getting to reprise the role of "Auntie" Mame Dennis in the 1974 film adaptation of the musical. She won a freaking Tony for the role, but they went with a past-her-prime Lucille Ball instead.

Orac Zen, Admiral2 and auntiehill like this.