Andorians and Tellarites and Orions, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Arpy, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I was delighted to see Orions in the finale that to me worked as Orions. And that some of them were boys, thank you, Jesus.

The Tellarites left a lot to be desired, I thought. The tusks and hair seemed too atavistic, too un-evolved...like the australopithecus version of a Tellarite.

The Andorian looked cool (though I don't like the eyebrows), but the makeup gave him only one expression, and the voice was distracting and I think makes it harder to deliver a good dramatic performance.

I hope one of the arcs they do next season involves new Tholians and non-humanoid psychology. I like the show a lot, but I would like them to do more exploring. This is sci-fi.

2. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With all the alterations they've done to the familiar aliens, I would have really hoped they would have done something with the Orions. They should look somehow more alien, now they're just humans but green, and in the dark their colour is not even particularly noticeable.

Leave tho bloody Klingons alone and fix the aliens who actually need it!

[​IMG]

3. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going to be the first it seems to say that I really don't mind the Andorian voice box. They're all aliens, so they really shouldn't sound like humans. And really, 90% of the time it's the UT talking, so hearing Admiral Shukar not speaking right was just a little more honest about it.

Hythlodeus likes this.
  4. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

good point about the UT. That makes a lot of sense

Tim Thomason likes this.
  5. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been said, and I won't dwell, but the Klingons are maybe the thing I like least about the show. Even the hairlessness wouldn't bother me as much, but the massive plasticky one-expression helmet-masks just kill them for me. I still think of G'Kar from Babylon 5 and now marvel how nuanced and expressive his face could be, and that was makeup from the 90's. The makeup from the JJ-verse and now DSC seems less naturalistic than Michael Westmore's from earlier Trek. It's more expressionistic, trying to convey an idea of a look, more than a real world biological entity evolved into it.

I hope they flesh out the Kelpians a bit more next season too. It may be difficult finding skinny enough actors, but I hope they keep that characteristic for the species. Unlike when they ditched the original size of the Hirogen, for example, not being able to find extra large actors. The lankiness is my favorite part of the design. The idea of a prey species is intriguing enough, and I wonder where they go with that. Who are their predators? And how do the threat ganglia work? I'm a little dubious of the science there.

Was that a Tiburonian we saw in the mess hall? I hope they play with more TOS aliens (maybe a Denobulan too?) and introduce some more original ones. It's too bad the tardigrade was so expensive to render -- it would have been amazing if he became, as they originally intended, a series regular. Non-humanoids are people too.

lawman likes this.
  6. Donker

Donker Commander Red Shirt

100% agree. I think basically most aliens that look near identical to humans should be redesigned, Orions being one of them.
    It's bizarre that you would drastically redesign the Klingons, then do nothing with the races that just are humans with a nose bump or different colour skin.

Longinus likes this.
  7. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

I am gonna say, I wish they had done something to the orians s well. They look too human.

8. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

andorians
    [​IMG]

Tim Thomason likes this.
  9. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Andorian in the front row forgot her gloves.

Beef Squatthrust and Jesse1066 like this.
  10. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, that's embarrassing...

Tim Thomason likes this.
  11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How do you make a Orion more Orionish? Klingons: More ridges. Andorians: More antennae. Tellerite: More Porcine. Orions: More green???

Jesse1066 likes this.
  12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Just like the Tellarite with “human” hands someone mentioned a while ago, clearly this is an Andorian/“pink skin” hybrid. Fixed and done. ;)

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

She's wearing pink gloves. It's an Andorian thing, you wouldn't understand.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  14. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't really uglify the Orions, so the options are limited somewhat. Green contacts, maybe?