And then Chris Pine pulled out a Tracer Gun (TM)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by jayrath, May 29, 2013.

1. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love J.J. Trek. I really do. I saw the latest installment two nights ago. I put it in the same category as the Gold Key Comics adventures; a wild, off-topic interpretation. It's so bad it's good. Instant high camp. I can't wait for the third installment, which will surely take up "Spock's Brain" with "Omega Glory" as a secondary storyline. I love J.J. Trek the way I love TOS Viewmaster disks and the TOS Remco toys, especially the helmet with flashing light.

It's all toys.

One proviso: the "Wrath of Khan" authors should file a Writer's Guild complaint. How many direct dialogue steals must the previous writers endure? Hell, they should all have at least received story credit. I hope Gene Coon and Samuel Peeples' heirs get at least half the ticket price.

2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really was hoping this new Khan was going to have a great speech/argument scene justifying himself, being ambiguous or sympathetic, not just current-kewl-badguy-to-be-defeated; which, in true kiddie comic book style, he turned into as soon as the plot allowed.

Then they just started replying scenes from a previous mtg, though not nearly so emotional.

Another possible Star Trek-y moment they eschewed: Uhura's talking to Klingons. Why not let her prowess work? Instead somebody just starts shooting for action set-piece #3 or 7 or whatever.

I have little hope for JJ Trek (aka Transformers) III being very Star Trek-y. Probably won't go unless I hear the Trek Old Ones giving it some props.

Yeah, this is a weird incarnation of Trek.

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When you put it that way, I can love JJ-Trek too. What a fun way to look at it. It takes all the pressure off and leaves room for the new films to be play-time fun. :bolian:

http://www.plaidstallions.com/startrek/remco.html

http://www.startrekcomics.info/goldkey.html

4. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could go into so many nonsensicalities, such as the new EVIL supership U.S.S. Vengeance. (Gee, sure like to hear what Roddenberry would think of the Starfleet naming committee.) But let's say that Gene would allow for such a thing as the U.S.S. Vengeance.

We have the entire explored galaxy to build this super secret ship. So, um, let's build it two orbits out from Earth, where, any officer with an unauthorized flight plan could discover it?

Oh, wait. One did.

Then the big on-duty Uhura smackaroo to Spock. Very professional, very Starfleet.

Oh, and -- spoiler alert , so leave now --

Shatner-Kirk left his Khan alive and with a bold challenge on a new world. J.J.-Kirk merely refroze the nut. I assume he is in Starfleet's cryo filing cabinet? No Milton poem there. Stand the whole thing on its head, much?

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

The original series, too, is a toy. They are all devices of entertainment. Some toys require more skill with which to play, others do not, but all can be enjoyed on their own.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ain't how it works. :guffaw:

Everything they did on that film belongs to Paramount, period. If characters that they created are reused by the studio they probably have a right to payment (that's true in TV and I assume in the movies) but they don't have to grant any permissions and exercise no veto power.

Carey Wilbur's estate might get payment for Khan, but they can't prevent his reuse.

7. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Well, to be fair, the name wasn't mentioned in the film.

Better still, put a model of the damn thing in your office, where everyone visiting you can see it.

8. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kirk smackeroo'd that blonde JAG chick at the very end of Court Martial. On duty. On the bridge! In front of God and everybody!

This is not unprecedented in Trek.

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

This does not belong in the TOS Forum.

Moving to Movies...

10. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I swear I heard it used in the comm chatter or something.

11. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I think the chances that JJ will base his next movie on Spock's Brain will be the same chances as him basing it on 'A Fistful of Data's' or 'Sub Rosa'

I'll give you this, if you give me:

Kirk not only kissed the JAG girl on the bridge, he kissed a girl when possessed by Sargon, he flirted with Kodos' daughter, hugged Rand.
    In Methuselah, he was flirting with a girl while his crew were dying (while on duty).
    There were many other times when he slept with or chatted up girls while on duty but I don't count them as being unprofessional as he was just trying to escape some trap.

Let's not start on the PD in TOS.

You had Spock kidnapping Pike in TOS, you had McCoy disobeying orders in Empath, you had Prime Kirk stealing a Starship in TSFS. It was just anarchy.

The TOS crew was unprofessional when compared to say the TNG crew who never did anything wrong, broke a regulation, disobeyed an order, kept alcohol in their quarters, got angry, got even.

If Adm Marcus was head of Starfleet why did he have to hide anything? If he wants to build a big ginormous ship then why not?
    The only thing he did wrong was to enslave Khan, use Kirk and his crew as patsies, oh and try to start a war with the Klingons. OK thats bad and not cool.

I don't think JJ Kirk stuck him back in the freezer. He was unconscious at the time. I think it was Section 32.;) Maybe a little bird or common sense told them he was dangerous.

12. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    And yet he did have a great speech/argument scene justifying himself, being ambiguous and sympathetic.

I don't care what Mr. Roddenberry would allow (why do fans keep calling him Gene as if they knew him ?)

It's implied that this is what Khan wanted when he tells Admiral Marcus that he should have let him sleep.

13. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

The "Family" speech was his exposition. He was desperate and just wanted to leave. He was forced to work for Marcus.

As for the Vengeance, space is REALLY big. Even the distance between Jupiter and Earth is MASSIVE, so hiding her is relatively easy. Jupiter itself is pretty dangerous with the massive radiation and electrical storms.

14. Belz...

And it's also a wicked cool background for a shipbuilding crew. I mean, if you're going to build a huge evil ship, might as well do it with your back to an awesome planet.

15. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Really, after forty years and dozens of couples with it never being a problem, the fact that people are complaining now about two Starfleet officers being in a relationship is just absurd.

16. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Er, no. That's NOT what Khan "wanted". It was said in irony. If Adm. Marcus had let Khan sleep, he wouldn't be getting his head crushed by said dude. That's pretty much ALL Khan meant. Nothing more, nothing less.

He certainly didn't want to be refrozen. He wanted his family back and he probably liked having the Vengeance at his fingertips.

17. Belz...

We'll have to agree to disagree, then, since we don't see eye to eye about what was meant by actual words in the movie.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I took the "you should have let me sleep" line to mean Marcus really fucked up by waking Khan.

19. Belz...

The way I understood it, Khan in his monologue said he was hoping to wake up in an era where things would be different. The "you should have" line, to me, meant he would have prefered waking up elsewhen, elsewhere. I think he got his wish.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think you're overthinking the line. But hey, differing personal interpretation is one of the beauties of Trek.