Amy Pond (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Timofnine, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

...isn't she Amy Williams now?! :borg:

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Rory is now Mr Pond.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I don't know about you folks across the ocean, but here in the States, there's been a growing trend for, oh, 10 - 15 years or so for wives to retain their given surnames, as opposed to taking their husbands'.

It's not the case in the majority of marriages (heck, my wife took my last name, and I didn't ask her to, I just told her to do what she wanted), but it is becoming more and more widespread.

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I have a cousin who's husband took her last name because he felt so welcomed by her family. It is entirely possible that they're Mr. and Mrs. Rory and Amy Pond. Or Mr. Rory Williams and Mrs. Amy Pond, or Mr. and Mrs. Rory and Amy Pond-Williams (or Williams-Pond).

Donna insisted on hyphenating at both her weddings, didn't she? (Noble-Temple, sounds like a tourist attraction)

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    What ever name she uses, I hope the characterizations improve. I suppose Rory's line about being Mr Pond is just humor, but it reinforces a perception of Rory as that nice guy who hopes by virtue of being nice he'll get in the girl's knickers. It also makes Amy's character come off quite unpleasant in that she comes across as having Rory around for convenience or as a pet.

6. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Let's not forget Jack and Meg White of The White Stripes.. (He was born John Anthony Gillis but took her last name when they married).

7. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

The series hasn't established what they're using as yet for Amy's last name. Precedent had Gwen Cooper keep her name rather than become Gwen Williams. While Donna went with a hyphenated version. For what it's worth the closing credits of The Big Bang credit Karen Gillan as "Amy Pond", not "Amy Williams".

I think they will have her keep the Pond name. If for no other reason than so we don't lose the rather striking (because it's so unusual) way the Doctor refers to her - "Come Along, Pond!"

Although the TV series is the final authority - meaning we may have to wait till Christmas to know for certain - the new batch of BBC Books novels just out in the UK feature the Doctor, Amy and Rory. If they are set after The Big Bang, then they might indicate the likely preference.

Alex

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Martha also went for a hyphenated name. The credits for The End of Time have her listed as Martha Jones-Smith.

9. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

It's been longer than that. It was trendy when I got married 20 years ago (yes I kept my own name).

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It seems Rory has adapted the Betazoid tradition of taking the bride's name ;)

11. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

At least one of them, probably all, are set before Hungry Earth.

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Beat me to the punch. My mother didn't take the last lame of either of her husbands.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rory became Mr. Pond. :lol:

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

A cunning plan that seems to be working :techman:

14. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

Ah, but the real question is - does he know what to do once he gets in there?? ;)

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Given how faithful she's been, I'm surprised it's not Amy Doctor.

16. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Come on, we're all allowed 5 people we can sleep with after marriage. ;)

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well to my knowledge, apart from snogging the Doctor has Amy actually been unfaithful to Rory?

18. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

The whole hyphenated/keeping the name thing is old hat.. An old girlfriend got married about 15 years ago and her husband took her name.. I would have been kind of shocked as I'd never heard of that, but knowing her like I did, I really wasn't surprised.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

She would be, given the chance. She was chasing after the Doctor hours before and after her wedding.

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

She couldn't have been chasing the Doctor before her wedding; she didn't remember his existence until after the vows were exchanged.

And I'm fairly certain that the first "You may kiss the bride" was more a "happy you're alive" thing than actual cheating -- Rory certainly didn't seem to mind. And the "we haven't even snogged" thing was a joke.