Amazing Fact about Paul Dooley

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by PSGarak, Oct 3, 2009.

1. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

Ok, I realize I'm seriously dating myself with this, but anybody else around here ever watch "The Electric Company" when they were a little kid? You know, that tremendously clever educational show with huge talents like Morgan Freeman and Rita Moreno? I just discovered that Deep Space 9's very own Enabran Tain actor, the fabulous Paul Dooley, was head writer for the first season of the show and created some of its best known recurring characters. Anybody else remember "Easy Reader"?

As if his potrayal of Tain wasn't enough to make me respect his talent, I now find he had a big hand in shaping my favorite early childhood television entertainment. This made my day. What can I say? I'm easily enter-tain-ed. :rolleyes:

2. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    You win the "Loki Dukat award for achievements in the field of punning":bolian:
    And I love the Groucho Marx joke setup "well, who else would?"

3. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Where's Neroon when you need a super-punster???? :lol:

4. Thor Damar

You should see the flaptain lounge:lol:

5. Mr. Scott

Mr. Scott Commander

I could never get around Enabran Tain being evil, just because he was played by Paul Dooley. I mean, Paul Dooley is our favorite uncle, the guy we play golf with, drink beer with, talk sports with. The man is simply not a Cardassian, especially not an evil one.

6. PSGarak

I was also surprised at the casting, but I have to say, I felt like he did such a good job with that role that I was able to buy it completely. Have you ever noticed that people who typically play comedic roles actually do really, really well in dramatic ones? I think they have superb timing. What helped to sell it for me was precisely that avuncular attitude. He wasn't a mustache twirler. He was simple, understated perfection.

7. Thor Damar

You see that's what made Mr Tain such a compelling villain, he seems like such a friendly harmless old man but in the next instance he would order your death in that same charming voice...

plus he attempted genocide, how evil is that!

8. PSGarak

Exactly, although when it came to the Founders and the threat they posed to the Alpha quadrant, I can at least see that particular instance as an understandable reaction. I'm not saying I think it was right, but I did understand the fear and paranoia they all felt. The Founders could be anyone at all, could theoretically take out the head of every major government and replace them with one of their own. Against that sort of threat, it's hard not to react with overkill.

9. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He played a cuddly old incestuous child molestor on Millennium...

10. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How could the mentor/father of Elim Garak be played by anybody else?

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. Being a ruthless member of the Obsidian Order doesn't mean you forget your manners. It's summed up rather aptly in "The Wire", where Tain offers Bashir a drink by selecting the doctor's preferred beverage - he's being a charming host while effortlessly displaying his comprehensive grasp of even the littlest details.

12. PSGarak

I had forgotten all about that. It has been years since I saw that show, but I loved it.