Amazing Beyond graphics

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Apr 1, 2018.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Click!

[CAUTION: the linked page is graphics-intensive and will make a heavy demand upon your computer's CPU & memory resources. Click away or skip, as you see fit. - M']

Awesome graphics from Star Trek Beyond by G Creative, including a close-up of Balthazar Edison's service record (which wasn't meant to be seen up close, but is really cool nonetheless. Note "Freedom class" USS Franklin, a mention of Scotty, incorrect dates and registry number)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2018
    pst likes this.
  2. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

Great name for the class.

The database is from the Enterprise.

Some people remember seeing the registry number NCC-7317 when the film was in the theater. Now, it can be confirmed that this was not their imagination. It did appear.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    F. King Daniel likes this.
  3. F. King Daniel

I'm thinking the graphics people were working from an earlier draft of the script. I just noticed the station is called Yosamite and not Yorktown!

pst likes this.
  4. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

There were a number of graphics created for Yorktown which did not make an appearance in the film.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's unfortunate.

6. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These are great, but I still like the Federation UI designs from ST 2009 and STID better. These look older than the previous movies, such as not using a futuristic font like the PCAP font.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

These graphics are from the system of a long-lost ship, not a current vessel. But seriously, going to Kaypro II monochrome green isn't very clever.

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Franklin user interfaces should have been kept consistent with the design styles established for ENT.

9. DEWLine

Also, trying to look at that web page just clobbers relatively older machines and browsers...but that's not relevant to the discussion.

10. PixelMagic

I'm talking about the Enterprise Federation UI.

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

You wrote "These are great, but I still like the Federation UI designs from ST 2009 and STID better. These look older than the previous movies, such as not using a futuristic font like the PCAP font."

So you like the ST09 and STID graphics better than the Franklin ones, is that your point?

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I hope they didn't use that spelling. :wtf:

13. PixelMagic

Yes, but I wasn't speaking of the Franklin in the first place.

14. F. King Daniel

Although I get that it shouldn't be clever, I *loved* the retro 80's green graphics on the Franklin. It would have driven me nuts if they'd done it on a TV series, but a one-off where we spend probably 40 minutes on board total, I liked it.
    My bad, "Yosemite". And I guess it may be the same of a town or arm within Yorktown? The same graphics refer to "Andorian environs" which goes back to an unrealized concept that each arm of Yorktown would represent a different Federation race.

Talking of bad spelling, I did spot "readyness" on some of the Enterprise graphics (which all use the ST'09/ID version of the ship).:ack:

pst likes this.
  15. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I agree that the ENT overall design might be seen as "leading directly into TOS" in terms of the colors and squares and whatnot, in which case the Franklin graphics would be a bump in the middle of that road.

But there's a gap of a century between ENT and TOS, and thus plenty of room for different display approaches in between. We know that every other span of a century features evolution of displays in random directions, rather than any sort of staying power for specific elements or colors or philosophies. Having the UFP ditch the ENT format and do something completely different for a while sounds natural and looks good. And heck, they're doing something else altogether in the 2230s, so that the Kelvin is its own thing and evolves into that blue-on-transparent for at least two different takes on the 2250s...

Timo Saloniemi

16. DEWLine

17. PixelMagic

Yeah, but in terms of movie use it "looks cooler" than the Beyond typeface.

18. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

trekcore tweeted that the graphics were fixed (at least the franklin registry number) for the blu ray release. justin lin's commentary track mentions the blu ray is the final version of the film and features tweaks not present in the theatrical, so sounds legit.

DEWLine and F. King Daniel like this.
  19. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pretty cool.

Beyond is definately the best looking movie out of the 3 rebooted films.

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

My machine isn't that old, my browser is up to date, and that page was still pretty brutal. Some folks may want to avoid clicking on the link.

@King Daniel Beyond : I've added a caution to that effect, just below the link.