Am I the only one who can't stand Paramount+'s skip button?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by rocketdave, May 12, 2022.

?

Does the skip button annoy you?

1. Yes, it's one of the worst things in the history of the world

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, I love stupid crap cluttering up the screen

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. rocketdave

rocketdave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm nervous about making this post. I'm fully aware that this probably sounds like the most frivolous of complaints, but I cannot get over how annoying I find the skip button that pops up during the opening credits of shows on Paramount+ now. I may be in the minority here, since with binging and shorter attention spans, a lot of people seem to want skip buttons nowadays. My attention span sucks, but I normally like sitting through the opening credits of shows. However, I can't enjoy them with this thing constantly in the corner.

At least with other streaming services that I'm aware of that have skip buttons, they only stay visible for a couple seconds, unlike Paramount+'s, which remains there for the entirety of the opening credits, dims the picture and even partially obscures the names of several of the actors, etc., which strikes me as kinda disrespectful to the people who work on these shows. If I were going by the credits, I'd guess that there's an actor on SNW named Celia Rose Goo and Kate Mulgrew's character on Prodigy is called Hologram Jane. Well, I'm glad that they haven't added the skip feature to any of the older series... so far anyway.

Sorry, I don't know if this really merits a whole thread or is even appropriate for this particular forum, but it's something I've been wanting to get off my chest for ages.

[​IMG]

Uhura's Song, Tommunist and Sci like this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Wow, that's even worse than the skip button that shows up on my browser, which is just text and an outline instead of being filled in. I'm annoyed enough just by that.

rocketdave likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I use skip buttons no matter what. I can't stand credits.

Where's that voting option?

nightwind1 and Richard S. Ta like this.
  4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

i like the option to skip, especially if I am watching ENT and don't got faith.

5. The_Baron

The_Baron Captain Captain

I think the point is less that there's an option to skip but more that after a few seconds when you've clearly decided not to skip the button stays and obscures the screen.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fair enough.

But, to me, credit scenes are a waste of screen time so skipping is preferred.

7. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

After watching the credits a few times, I'm good to skip them. But maybe the button should be translucent, and not affect picture brightness.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the skip button as well. Why shouldn't we be able to skip a credits sequence we've already seen a milliion :censored:ing times?

Peacock has one as well, and I use both every chance I get.

nightwind1 and fireproof78 like this.
  9. rocketdave

rocketdave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Exactly. I mean, who is waiting to hit that button until there are only three seconds left in the intro?

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm annoyed by the existence of Skip Buttons in general. Unless I'm watching ads on YouTube. That's the only time a Skip Button is appropriate.

But yeah, I enjoy watching credit sequences, so down with the Skip Button!

11. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

"Skip ENT" is how I handle that one. ;)

Oddish and XCV330 like this.
  12. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmmm… if paramount+ was available in NZ and I could access it, I prolly would find the skip button frustrating…

:vulcan:

13. captainmkb

captainmkb Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i've found that by zooming out in browser makes the in-browser skip button move off the show and down into the letterbox. the zoom doesnt affect the aspect of the playback because i'm presuming you're watching fullscreen and that overrides the zoom state of the browser

14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like how other streaming services just display the Skip button for the first several seconds of the credits and then it disappears, but if you click the remote the option is still available in case you missed it.

Kor

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never met Skip Buttons myself but he doesn't sound like a nice person.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's a much better approach. I also think every streamer should be required to handle closing credits like Netflix does, where you can turn off the shrinking feature instead of having it obnoxiously happen automatically. We should be able to choose for ourselves whether we want these features.

Sci and Kor like this.
  17. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. Bloody thing never works. You click on it and it just pauses the video, or worse quits it.
    Takes a few attempts.

18. Ghel

Ghel Captain Captain

I can't say that it bothers me at all. Sometimes I feel like watching the intro, sometimes I don't. Whatever the case, I find the little button in the corner easily ignored.

XCV330 likes this.
  19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Until you brought it up, I never really noticed it.

Doesn’t bother me.

20. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I appreciate being given the skip option, for both the 'previously on' and show credits, but it should go away after a few moments, in my opinion too.

More frustrating for me, having an AD-FREE account but they see fit to go ahead and slip in ads for other shows on P+, (usually as far away from what I would choose to watch as possible, total crap) just before my show.

Ad free means no ads, dip-wads. I know how to watch what I want to see.

Daddy Todd likes this.