Am I the only one wanting a reboot that is a harder sci fi?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by SalyutBuran, Aug 31, 2021.

1. SalyutBuran

SalyutBuran Commander Red Shirt

I'm not talking about making trek a pure hard sci fi, but how about uping the plausibility?

Nothing crazy but just getting things in line with modern theories.

How about revamping the races and astropolitics of the alpha quadrant?

Do something where ancient aliens have more relevance?

Death Ray, Deks and StarCruiser like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want a reboot based in current history, technological development and futurist projections.

Less concerned about the astropolitics. That's going to be implausible at some level.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, no more humanoid aliens that act like humans with certain traits exaggerated. Instead, aliens that look nothing like what we would conceptualize as "life," with psychologies and neurologies that are barely within our comprehension. And no "universal translator" magic tech. There would be a lot of episodes about communication problems with new life and new civilizations.

Kor

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Hard reboot? No. They need to embrace the multiverse, that will give them the freedom to do the type of stories they want without tripping over what came before, and allows them to use what came before on occasion.

Harder sci-fi? Pass. Tough to accomplish on TV, much better in novels.

Just no. Some people already think that shit is real. Better to not have it front and center (Star Trek did have a bit of ancient alien stuff with the Preservers and Apollo).

Turtletrekker and Jinn like this.
  5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some harder literary sci-fi does deal with early extraterrestrial influence on humanity. But generally, the whole "ancient astronauts/aliens" thing is sensationalist pop-pseudoscience. Putting more of it into Trek wouldn't help with plausibility.

Kor

Imaus, ChallengerHK and StarCruiser like this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Take away humanoid aliens, you've excluded even the possibility of Spock, and screw it, it's not Star Trek anymore. Hard pass.

8. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is why, up till 2000 that they went in 1 direction .. Forward. What came before was important but not binding in a way.
    Now all the prequel series are marred in cannon and can't escape. Even 32nd center disco.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek is not about the future anymore.

Commander Richard likes this.
  10. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was extensive discussion with this thread.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[
    That's so soft it's a marshmelon.
    Eh, turning the page on a calendar is forward in only one sense.

12. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Please no. I'm hard pressed to think of anything lazier than just excusing away any writing mistakes you make by saying your story is in a different but nearly identical universe. They might as well just start saying "a wizard did it". If you can't write a story in an established universe, make up your own fictional universe. If there are minor inconsistencies that pop up as you go, it's just fodder for expanded universe stories and head canon.

13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek is pretty hard sci fi as it is. Things like Dune and Star Wars are soft sci fi. They deal more with the social sciences than science.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think so, yeah.
    Oh, please. Star Trek clings to the Prime Universe like it's some sort of security blanket to the point that even the one attempt at a reboot was still attached to the Prime Universe. Besides, if say Disco were a reboot they wouldn't have had to end the second season with the ship going into the distant future with all records of them being erased.

15. Nerys Myk

No

16. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes

17. Nerys Myk

If you think Star Trek is hard Sci-Fi then you don't know hard Sci-Fi. It's space opera and social commentary.

Tyr, Vale, DaveyNY and 15 others like this.
  18. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm hard pressed to think of a show that doesn't, aside from Rick & Morty that plumbs the multiverse for existential angst...

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

A hard reboot ? No, you'd bin too much of the DNA of the show.

Tighten it up a little going forward ? Sure, we're not a 60's or even an 80's audience, it's got to move with the times and it's not pure fantasy like Star Wars.

Scientific accuracy is never going to be more than a surface dusting in Trek though.

20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'd like to see a show with a premise like Star Trek's that's more contemporary in terms of science, technology, design and storytelling, yes.

I don't think it could be Star Trek, and there's no reason to want Star Trek to be that. The franchise is very conservative, because it's a studio cash cow now, and cannot be made much less so without alienating their base audience of repeat customers.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.