Alternate NX-01, Wagon Train Style

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Herkimer Jitty, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The title's a pun. Wagon train... Conestoga... get it?

Eh.

This is a WIP based on the idea that the Conestoga would make a more convincing hero ship than the Akira as a basis for the NX-01. It's very WIP-y, so some of the stuff is a bit wonky.

I added labels and stuff for this post.

Without further adieu:

[​IMG]

Comments, questions? (Besides "I like the NX-01 as is")

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Cool, love the Conestoga!

3. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

Nice, but the studio heads might say the audience wouldn't accept it without a traditional saucer section.

4. Herkimer Jitty

Fortunately for me, I don't have the studio heads breathing down my neck.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Awesome. One reason why I like the idea of a Conestoga-type ship being the NX-01 is it looks more like a descendant of the Phoenix. Plus I prefer the idea that the traditional saucer design came from one of the other Federation founders, or was a natural evolution of the Daedalus' sphere design.

6. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

My only real problem with the design is the nacelles seem tacked on.

I'd like to see what other placements and shapes you can come up with for the struts.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like it :)

Plus thanks for making the effort to label everything :techman:

8. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

I like it for the most part, but you might want to do something different with the impulse engines.

9. EmperorKalan

EmperorKalan Commander Red Shirt

You might want to take a look at the Discovery-class from the game Star Trek Legacy. I'll get some screenshots for you a bit later.

10. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Dang, I need to put up my ALTERNATE NX-O1 up soon!

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think NX-01 type impulse engine exhausts would work better than the ones you've got now, but I would think about putting some torp tubes on the bottom, along with adding some point defenses (lasers probably) since this ship probably doesn't have shields. Other than that, it looks great.

12. EmperorKalan

EmperorKalan Commander Red Shirt

13. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

I can't say I care much for the changes they made to it for that game.

14. Herkimer Jitty

Exactaamaly! I've always imaginarily attributed the dual-hull design to the Andorians and the saucer to the Tellarites. The Conestoga also has the benefit of looking sorta like the SS Valiant.

Yeah, I'm thinking the struts have the nacelles too close to the body with too flimsy an attachment. I'll toy around with that stuff when I'm not feeling my usual lazy/apathetic self. ;)

Well, she's got pretty much full point-defense lasers from her 8 CIWS turrets... though the aft side is a bit bare. Torpedos are guided weapons, so... wherever I put them, they'll be cool. Plus, I was going for a "submarine" thing by putting them all on top.

I'm conflicted on the exhaust engines, but I don't want them to look TMP/TNG-y like the NX-01 units did.

Interesting. She's got a bit of DY-ness in the nose. Wonder what'd look like with a DY-100 style conning tower. Probably like crap, but still-

15. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Great artwork. Can't wait to see your fore and aft views.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

OK Herkimer, your drawings got my interest, so I decided to use them as a spring board for my continuing transition from Sketchup to Blender. Whenever I see the Conestoga, I always looked at it differently than most people. To me, it intimated that the evolution of starfleet design started with the secondary hull. Not the primary saucer we are all used to. I always got the impression the saucer came later as the need for more science space out paced the need for more engineering space. So going with that theme, I played around and came up with this little doodle to show what I mean. The Conestoga Mark II. Have served Earthfleet faithfully for over 2 decades, Starfleet engineering knew they had a robust design that could be expanded upon. As mission requirements for lab space and people to run those labs increased, the engineers decided not to make major space frames but instead to add a secondary structure to accommodate these needs. The resulting design was designated the Mark II.

(this of course is not what I would call anything more than a sketch, but you get the idea)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks Herkimer for providing Inspiration for my continued Blender learning process!:bolian:

17. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

HMMMMMM....this ~is~ intriguing. I always wondered why we never saw a Conestoga as the Fortunate Son or at least a background/filler ship like DS9 had perched on its' sails all the time. Especially during the first episode "Broken Bow" doing a fly-by of Earth, along with workbees, academy/UESPA shuttles, et al.

18. Herkimer Jitty

sojourner, that's really intruiging. It looks brill in screenshot #2

19. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Nice designs, both of you.

But how about a sturdier nacelle attachment? How about moving the nacelle down so it even with the main body, and then connecting it to the main hull with two struts - one above, one below. I think that would fit this more 'primitive look' better. (Otherwise it just looks like TOS nacelles stuck on an older ship)

20. Capt_Jason

Capt_Jason Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt