"Alice" episode thoughts

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by evillouie, Jul 10, 2017.

1. evillouie

evillouie Ensign Newbie

Hello all,

I just watched the "Alice" episode, and I don't think I have seen it since it originally aired. I must have completely forgotten about it since then!

I'd say the episodes where Paris is obsessed with his hobbies are some of my least favorites. But, I did have a good laugh while watching this, because it made me think of my nephew, who just a few days ago, bought this crappy, beat up car for $500 insisting that it's the greatest thing ever. He's already working on that thing as much as Tom did on that ship. I hope that car doesn't come back to bite him as badly as what Alice did to Tom, however! ;)

Anyway, what are others' thoughts on this ep?

Markonian likes this.
  2. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

Well I'm a Tom/B'Elanna fan so I enjoy it. Of course it does have one of those moments that people like to criticise...where Chakotay says they have a full compliment of shuttles. But overall I enjoy the episode. I like the character Abadon, he was fun. I am always left with a question about Alice though. What was her goal? She was trying to get to that funnel thing but why? What was going to happen once she got there?

3. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the truck scene in the The 37's, especially when it backfires and Tuvok draws his phaser.

You know I actually liked MOST of the derided 'Threshold' as well, so I guess Tom and his obsessions can be pretty entertaining. I know Alice was using Tom but the concept of a neural link pilot was good.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

5. Refuge

Was watching Hope and Fear last night, I forgot how impressive the Dauntless was in those discovery scenes.

Liked the way Voyager as a series kept reaching for the future.

6. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did you just throw a subtle stone towards the new 23rd century?

7. Refuge

One could interpret it that way ;)

8. Athena28

Athena28 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When Alice says the particle fountain is home I guess she knew she wouldn't be destroyed like the shuttle would. That's the only explanation I can think of as to why she wouldn't care if the shuttle exploded.

9. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, shortly after the ep came out, I read a review which described it (among other things) as "Brain-Sucking Slut-Shuttle From Another Dimension!". Never have been able to rid my head of that quote since then.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Alice. It was a cool concept.

Is this the same Dauntless whose warp core was literally an off-the-shelf plasma ball and four lava lamps?:lol:

Everything else was cool, though.

11. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was kinda cool, like "This little thing is the power core"? I thought both the Dauntless, and the Promethius looked very futuristic when I first saw them, which would have been within the last 5 years or so, or since whenever Voyager was put on Netflix and I first saw it.

12. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I mean, if an off-the-shelf plasma ball and four lava lamps are even more powerful than the E-D's big honking reaction chamber...I mean, that's pretty impressive, isn't it?

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I get that the idea that something so small could power a huge starship is cool, that the small thing was made from stuff you can buy at Target and they didn't really dress it up, kinda killed the illusion for me.:shrug:

14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Clearly you never watched MacGyver. :p

F. King Daniel likes this.