Alex Kurtzman: 'Star Trek: Discovery' Will Spark Debate And Adhere To Canon

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by RAMA, Jul 7, 2017.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

From a new CNET video interview.

http://trekmovie.com/2017/07/06/ale...covery-will-spark-debate-and-adhere-to-canon/

https://www.cnet.com/videos/star-trek-discovery-producer-alex-kurtzman-promises-unique-story/

If you are a fan of Trek you are going to see a lot of things which hearken back to the original series and elements of the original series. I am not just talking plot, but the spirit of what that show was. We are going to be revisiting a couple of things on Star Trek: Discovery that I think people are going to find familiar. Without spoiling anything we are adhering to a timeline and sticking to the rules, but also I think finding some new areas and avenues that have only been alluded to, but never fully explored.

C57D and Markonian like this.
  2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Wait until he sees the number of people who will refer to this as "fanwank".

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Trek creatives are damned if they do, damned if they don't, so they may as well do whatever the Hell they want.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  4. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

It doesn't matter what they say in interviews. We'll see when it's out how far the "reimaginations" go. Just cosmetic, or maybe more than that. I couldn't care less if they don't adhere to any existing continuity or timeline. If it's good, that's what matters.

5. Pure Antiproton

Pure Antiproton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Made the mistake of reading the comments section about this article on trekmovie. While the interview didn't have any specifics, I'm amazed Star Trek fans are upset about getting new Star Trek before seeing anything except a couple of photos and 1 teaser.

6. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

It does boggle my mind, but the amount of hate is crazy

Markonian likes this.
  7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

The interview is great news! Looking forward to Discover more and more!

8. GravityWell

GravityWell Ensign Red Shirt

To paraphrase:

You need to know the different timelines, the different universes.

Maybe referring to the mirror universe. Maybe not. Maybe referring to 'Parallels'.

Remember, it's about what she finds at the end of the Universe. Not the edge. Heck, we know that they are probably in our galaxy, so the phrase 'end of the universe' is referring to change of universe not a geographical location.

Burnham makes a decision that changes her, changes StarFleet, changes the Federation. Changes the universe.

Markonian likes this.
  9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Let's face it, canon will be adhered to the same way it was in Enterprise. When something needs changing, they will.

F. King Daniel and Markonian like this.
  10. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Lots of things in Enterprise that didn't need changing were changed. Orion backstory for one. Heck, I think all of Enterprise was a matter of changing what didn't need changing. Should have been Captain April.

Phoenix219 and C57D like this.
  11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

But lots were, like the visuals and silly lack of Romulan warp drive, just to name a few.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

"Simple impulse" is simply how Scott read their energy signature. There was never a statement the Romulans didn't have FTL travel. Giving them warp drive in Enterprise was just lazyness.

C57D and uniderth like this.
  13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Nope, common sense. Starships need a form of ftl. It was stated starships of the Enterprise era didn't have warp drive.

C57D likes this.
  14. Space Coast

Space Coast Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Trekkiedom is one of the saltiest science fiction fandoms out there (alongside 40k and to a lesser extent Star Wars), so this is unsurprising.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Orions didn't HAVE a backstory before ENT came along.

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It's more like not giving the Romulans warp in "Balance of Terror" was simple ignorance.

17. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

Everytime that throwaway line from BoT about "simple impulse" comes up, we have to re-explain how absurd the idea of slower than light Romulans is, the implausibility of an interstellar war with warp driven cultures, how they could have had spaceflight for centuries (to reach Romulus from Vulcan) but just couldn't figure out that warp equation, unlike the much more clever humans etc. They had warp. I don't care what Scotty said. Maybe they used nuclear power for warp, so they couldn't reach Warp 8, thus "we can outrun them".

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  18. C57D

C57D Guest

Always been my explanation for that line. Roms only had nuclear powered warp, not dilithium moderated MAM. Maybe they just hadn't discovered it or didnt have dilithium who knows? Either way slower and less effective.

Lieut. Arex and Ethros like this.
  19. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

It was a silly line, the interstellar societies of Trek would be near impossible without some form of FTL travel. Like much of TOS's inconsistent technobabble, it should be taken with a large pinch of salt. The narrative requirement is for a slower ship, that's it.

20. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which was basicly true for all Star Trek shows after TOS. Fans learned to live with it then, they will now. Or they will GTFO, which will make this forum a lot more fun to read.