Alcohol's PHYSICAL Effects

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Small White Car, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am NOT interested in why you do or do not drink. Take it over here, please. This thread is for experienced drinkers.

I am not one, but am curious: What is the attraction, for you, personally? I've only been drunk once in my life. It made me dizzy and it was hard to walk straight. That was pretty much it.

Is that all there is? Did I do it wrong? Surely people get drunk for more of a reason than that, right? So share away, what PHYSICAL effect does alcohol have on you that you find pleasant? Apparently I'm missing something and I'm curious to know what it is.

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Alcohol keeps me from killing people.

3. jkladis

jkladis Moderator Admiral

That is it. If you're interested in being serious all the time, it's absolutely not for you. It is meant to unearth your stupid and spunky side, but not to overtake it, in my opinion. Knowing your limitations throughout is key. I know it's a slippery slope.

To that end, the physical effects are temporary, but often comforting enough to justify the indulgence.

If you only drank once, you didn't do it wrong, nor are you obligated to do it again. I remember my adrenaline taking over during the first time. I outdrank my experienced friends because I was uptight over it.

So, the attraction: A relaxant, is one. It does help release inhibitions, and not just taboo or questionable ones. It can result in an enjoyable experiences socially and personally.

Responsibly.

JK, responsible drinker and licensed pilot. Not necessarily in that order.

4. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

It generally helps me to stop worrying about every little thing. Takes the edge off social anxiety for me. Lets me be silly and happy and fun without worrying about what other people think.

As far as physical effects go, I usually get a bad headache if I drink just a little. If I drink more, this goes away. I've not yet gotten a hangover, but maybe this will change as I age.

5. Small White Car

Oh, no no, I've only been drunk once. I have about 6 drinks a year, but just one at a particular event. It was only the one time I had several in one night.

I have no aversion to drinking, I've just never had more than one at a time except that one night.

Yeah, that didn't happen for me. I felt the same, just unable to walk straight or form words without slurring. It made me quite worried what other people (who were also drunk) would think. So I sat still and was quiet.

Which is funny because I'm NORMALLY stupid, spunky, and silly. So for me, alcohol did the opposite! It shut me up!
    (Perhaps that's what it really does? Makes everyone into their opposite??)

Yeah, this is what I hear. Ok, it confuses me because for me, it tightened my inhibitions. Severely. (I know the cliche of "alcohol made up have sex!" It confuses me, I didn't even TALK to anyone else! Much less... :lol:)

Thanks, I'm not planning on changing my life. I was just curious since I was sure my experience didn't line up with the 'typical' experience. I was just curious!

6. Kestra

It might just not have the same effect on you. The other thing is, alcohol doesn't have the same effect on me every time. It depends on what mood I'm in, what I'm drinking, who I'm with, etc. It doesn't vary greatly, but it does vary a bit.

But if you don't find any beneficial effects, it's definitely not worth getting drunk.

7. Small White Car

Thanks for trying to make me feel better, but I'm slowly working my way in on the theory that I'm an alien. I've got a few other bits of evidence too, this just the latest example!

8. Kestra

^ You should start another thread on the current evidence that you are an alien!

9. Small White Car

Done and done!

10. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I have a good time when I've had a few. It helps relieve tensions for me and I relax and have a good time. I also tend to find things funnier than I normally would, and I've found my girlfriend gets frisky with me when she's had some.

I also had a great experience last year of watching some TOS the morning after a party whille we were suffering from minor headaches. Day of the Dove if I remember correctly.

11. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

It makes intimate situations much more pleasurable, at least for me.

12. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

The attraction for me, first and foremost, is the pleasurable sensation on my taste buds. I really do enjoy the taste of good booze, both mixed and unmixed.

Beyond that, as other people have noted, I enjoy its relaxing effect.

It's been so long since I got really drunk that I don't really remember what the attraction was.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Dizzy and hard to walk? Sounds like my first time, too.

But as I continued to drink, I learned that there are many varying degrees of drunkenness. Symptoms range from an increased ability to loosen up and have fun to vomiting my brains out and wishing I was dead. But I've learned enough about my body and my tolerances to know how to avoid the wishing I was dead part most of the time.

Oh, I also tend to talk more and at a much higher volume when I've been drinking, to the point where sober people often tell me to stop yelling at them. :lol:

14. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you were dizzy and finding it difficult to walk then you were way past your tolerance level. It may be different for some people, but a drink or two at the end of the day for me helps to ease the pain and pressure in my sinuses and signals that it's the "end of the day." I've worked, I've had my coffee and tea, I've hit the gym, and now it's time to relax, finish my book or throw in an episode of a show I like before I hit the sack.

I don't get drunk very often. When I do, it's almost always with friends or family, and we're talking a "comfortable buzz," and not something that would make my "dizzy" or "unable to walk."

Keep in mind that some people handle alcohol differently than others. For some people it has the effect of poison and just makes them feel sick. Alcohol has a calming/relaxing effect on me.

Just remember to enjoy everything in moderation.