Admiral Jameson

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Kirk the Jerk, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Kirk the Jerk

Kirk the Jerk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently watching 'Too Short A Season' again and forgot how cringeworthy 'old' Jameson was, the acting I mean... Surely it would have been better to have an older actor play old Jameson, his voice makes me cringe at his attempt to sound 'old'. Overly husky and every word overly emphasised. :scream:

IMO It would also been more dramatic to see a drastically younger Jameson (different actors) throughout the episode rather than just remove a bit of make-up here and there. I realise it was it was to do with budgets etc. but to me it's quite hard to watch the whole thing play out.

2. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At first I thought he was trying too hard to sound like an old man, but the funny thing is he sounds the same way as a kid too. I think he just tried to be overly expressive in the old-man makeup with his gestures.

I actually liked his acting as the younger version when he's ordering Picard around.

I don't know which old man voice is worse, Jameson or Mark Twain...

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Samuel Clemens was definitely worse. At least Jameson was a caricature of a fictional character.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That episode would have been so much better in its original form - where the old admiral was Kirk, come to see the effects of what he did from "A Private Little War." Shatner would have been just the right age.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That's the first I've heard of that. Source?

6. R. Star

I'd be interested in that too. It certainly would've changed a lot. If nothing else it would have saved us from Generations. ;)

Phoenix219 likes this.
  7. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

But how would they get young Kirk?

8. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ That's an interesting question. Today, they could potentially de-age him using CGI technologies, a la Tron Legacy. But in 1987? That wouldn't have been an option. Not sure how they would have managed that.

As interesting as it might have been to see Kirk, this was way too early in the run of TNG to go there. The brief cameo by McCoy in Farpoint was touching and well-done, but anything more than that would have been a distraction. The TNG crew needed time to stand on their own two feet first. Additionally, the story as written would have outraged many fans of Kirk and TOS.

9. R. Star

They probably wouldn't have bothered with the whole deaging think, especially if they're tying back to a private little war.

10. Kirk the Jerk

Kirk the Jerk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would it have been smart to let such an iconic figure like Captain Kirk die in season 1 though? Although it would have cemented the fact it was a brand new show and wanted to set itself aside from TOS.

11. R. Star

Again, who said anything about him dying? If the original script was calling for Kirk and the muzzle loader planet, it obviously was envisioning something very different than the whole aging thing we got.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think that rumor has been found to be not true.

13. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Admiral Jameson sounds like a splenid Irish Whiskey.

14. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Supposedly that was the original pitch for the episode, but the writing team didn't want to go there. I started a thread about this not that long ago.

15. BillJ

Yeah.

But I've been going through some of my TNG books (including the Compendium) and can't find it mentioned anywhere.

16. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't think we ever did find a substantiating source in the other thread, did we? :rommie:

17. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think we can chalk this one up to Clayton Rohner being an awful actor in general

18. BillJ

No we didn't. :techman: