About Chimera s7e14

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by damfino, Aug 29, 2019.

1. damfino

damfino Ensign Red Shirt

Why are all these people helping this guy that just commited cold blooded murder? It isn't really relevant if this changeling is discriminated against, he still murdered that Klingon and should receive due process. This is the second time Odo has gone off the deep end (first time was with the female changeling), a man of law and order he is not.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

My gripe is the opposite. What we saw was a standard Klingon duel, including a public challenge and all. If you die, it's your own fault. So why are the Klingons making a fuss?

The hero position here is pretty clear. The Klingons around them do that all the time, to people who can actually die. It's about time they got to pay some sort of a price for it.

As for Odo, he ever was a man of law. He always was law. His law. Which is sort of understandable, as he got his job exactly because he actively despised law and was good at perverting and ignoring it. This served both his ever-changing masters and his personal yearning for order and domination just fine.

Timo Saloniemi

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

First, Laas would not have received due process from the Klingons, just summary execution.

Second, there’s a self defense argument. It’s not clear if Odo was right the Klingon was reaching for a disruptor. If he was, or if Laas believed he was, I guess it depends if Bajor has a “Stand your ground” law.

4. it wasn't "all these people", it was only Odo who wanted to help him.
    And i can see why Odo felt that there was some prejudice against Laas,
    granted, there really was no need to kill the Klingon. With all his powers he could
    have stopped him without deadly force.

Then they could have had that Changeling Pride-Demonstration on the Promenade...

5. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Because most Klingons are cowards

6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Because despite how Klingon religion and ethics might view murder, it still might be considered a crime against the state. Moreover, it could be in the interest of the military to protect its resources and obtain latitude for its soldiers.

7. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I agree that it's out of character for the Klingons to be making a fuss about getting killed after a challenge.

However, Klingon law is irrelevent on the station. Odo's law was supposed to be Station law as layed out by the Magistrate, Sisko, and Bajor. The self defense argument clearly doesn't apply; Laas was in no more danger from the Klingon than an adult from a child's squirt gun. Laas should have restrained himself. And Odo doesn't like killings on his watch. No weapons on the promenade, doesn't carry a phaser, etc. He's clearly stretching a point to let Laas go just because he's another changeling. Not satisfactory; would Sisko let a person who committed murder go just because he was another human? I hope not.

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did the Klingon with the knife honestly think he was going to be able to hurt or kill Laas?

Kor