Spoilers TNG: A Singular Destiny by Keith R.A. DeCandido review thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Brendan Moody, Jan 21, 2009.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I didn't realize that. That's pretty cool, thanks for the info.:techman:

2. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

They may be jerks, but I hear they make good gameshows.

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Thanks muchly!

They were never described in TFR. And their resemblance to gryphons (or griffins), which are among my favorite mythical creatures, is not at all coincidental. :)

Probably. :evil:

Two Farscape comic book miniseries, Strange Detractors and D'Argo's Lament, for both of which I still need to script the fourth and final issue. :)

4. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the Kinshaya were interestingly portrayed in pretty much every sense (language, appearance, culture, values), especially in how they interacted with the Klingons. Seems to be an interesting alien species.

5. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really don't think that the two people mentioned in this casualty list are dead. I think it is just a set up to be resolved in a later book.

6. Judge King

Judge King Lieutenant Red Shirt

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i enjoyed this, but i agree, they never should've announced the TP's existance before this came out.

8. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

You are talking about yourself, Sci.

An eye for an eye, Sci.
    You quoted my post - look at your post to which I had responded: http://trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=2649105&postcount=363.
    I'm disrespectful, condescending and insulting? Same back to you.

And yes, you are sour.

History.
    History is the study of the past. Its purpose is to accurately record the past and discover the causal relations between events - all of which doesn't change. A person who writes a book and doesn't present the facts objectively doesn't deserve to be called "historian" - and the book doesn't deserve to be called a "history book".
    Look at the definition of history - as with any science, you'll find the word "objective" in there.

Real world vs Trekworld.
    There is a fundamental difference between the real world and the trekverse. The real world happened, the trekverse didn't.
    In the real world, the roll of the dice is not counterfeit. In the trekverse, it is, always - unless the writers are using radioactive decay results to write their stories. Many times, the author is constrained by real world concerns - the actor is leaving the show, the editor is imposing this and that.

And there is a fundamental moral difference between the real world and the trekworld. Any star trek story - any fictional story has a theme. The author is always trying to express an ideea, a thought, and the story is built accordingly - and this is the moral substrate of any fictional universe. Happy endings are not necessary for the existence of a moral substrate.
    In the vast majority of cases, Star Trek stories - filmed or otherwise - have happy endings. Sometimes - rarely - not. That doesn't change the fact that the autor is trying to say something, to entertain. You will never find this "purpose" in events that actually take place.

As for the trekverse immoralities - I'll quote myself, because you obviously didn't read my posts (and more about that later):
    Sometimes, the fictional story can imitate the real world quite well. But that doesn't mean that they have the same value as real world facts in any discussion concerning the real world.

Have I? I suggest that you actually read your rhetorical opponent's posts before profering insults:

And about this claim "I argued that there is no inherent or fundamental difference. That doesn't mean that there can't be a difference, but that the difference is not inherent." - define clearly "fundamental difference" as opposed to "difference"

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  9. ProtoAvatar

About Relaunch/Rihannsu books:
    We should consider canon for the purposes of this discussion, in addition to the filmed material, the relaunch novels, including the elements they imported from the rihannsu novels.
    But not the rest of the rihannsu series - in many cases, the relaunch books contradicted facts established in rihannsu. Also, as I have not read the rihannsu books, I cannot coment on them.

From what you said, the rihannsu books painted the "rihannsu" in a pretty favorable light - correct?

About the thalaron weapon:
    In my above post, I explained in detail why this weapon cannot be used effectively against a federation fleet, but can be lethal to the borg.

In short - the feds would see the weapon charging and would go to warp. The thalaron weapon can have a range large enough to "encompass" 10 planets - the feds would be out of that range in miliseconds.
    The borg, on the other hand, don't run. The'll wait to be hit by the weapon, in order to adapt.

In any case - Tal'Aura&co were willing, at best, to start an interstellar arms race - with potentially disastrous consequences; in my opinion, the probable scenario was that they wanted to destroy Earth and start a war with the Federation - in the past, romulans tried to start wars with the Federation often enough - see TNG.
    Any society contains many factions - but only the factions that have the power dictate politics. On Romulus, these factions were either isolationist or antagonistic toward the Federation - and Tal'Aura's belonged to the second category.

10. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I finished this book this morning, I loved it. I had a original series feel about it. the Alpha quadrant feels like a much larger, more dangerous place now. Thank you KRAD for a very enjoyable book. I look forward to your next contribution to the 24th century meta-story & your Alien Spotlight next month.

11. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

Judge King, hotlink is not allowed on this board, please don't do it again.

12. Judge King

Judge King Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm sincerely sorry.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you seriously trying to revive that little pissing contest a month after it ended?

14. ProtoAvatar

Your post deserved a response - and I read it only yesterday.

But, if you agree, I am willing to bury the hatchet.

15. Vastator

Vastator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I must say I am quite excited about the Typhon Pact stuff and though I hope they don't end up in a full blown war, I would be happy to see a cold war and tensions in the region as both sides try to get what they want. Plus, I really hope we get to see more of the Kinshaya and the Breen as it sounds like a perfect opportunity to peek into these new and never before seen alien races :D

Also, don't want to resurrect the argument here but Captain's Blood had an interesting point saying that the Romulans did not expect Shinzon to actually destroy Earth but rather to end the Cheron Accords and to begin the militarization of the Neutral Zone. Was an interesting thought on the subject as I personally thought they wanted Shinzon to destroy Earth.

16. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Outright destruction is not really the Romulan way; they are more calculating. Destruction on that level isn't even a Klingon way of thinking. The Romulans didn't need the whole AQ getting pissed at them.

I wonder what state the Cheron Accords, and the Neutral Zone for that matter, will be in with all of the new political bodies popping up :shifty:? Could be very interesting...

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It was when they realized that Shinzon planned to destroy Earth that they turned against him. They wanted to increase the Romulan Empire's military strength and prominence, and no doubt advance their own careers, but genocide on that level, and based on nothing more than one man's crazed vendetta, was not something they wanted.

18. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    What's the difference between the Cheron Accords & the Treaty of Algeron?

Frankly, I'd expect the Federation's diplomats to either get some pretty damn big concessions from the Romulan Star Empire or else, finally, after 200 years, say, "Fuck it! We're cloaking our ships now."

19. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I have no idea what the difference is. If the RSE are aligned with the Typhon Pact, and we know that the Pact's agenda seems to be in contrast with the Federation/Klingon Alliance and their new allies that have joined the Khitomer Accords (the IRS included), then the treaties shold be in question.

I agree. The FED's should definitely say

20. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I just don't see the federation adopting cloaking technology in any large way... they're about "Boldly going" not skulking around.