Spoilers TNG: A Singular Destiny by Keith R.A. DeCandido review thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Brendan Moody, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

I see KRAD's a fan of The Venture Bros., too. Gee, one wonders what emergency could have caused Chief Thaddeus Samson to break off his counseling appointment to go back to the Venture.

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ I have no idea what you're talking about............. *whistles*

("Go, Team Venture!!!!")

3. Rat Boy

I have to confess, I saw the name first on the Memory Beta page and didn't put two and two together until I read the book yesterday. I bet if Chief Samson found those former Borg, he would have gutted them with a knife.

4. KRAD

^ Oh, no doubt.

And the Venture is a canonically established ship (in "The Way of the Warrior," among other places). I just decided to run with it. :evil:

5. Rat Boy

Trust me, I'd like to think I know the ship inside and out now, save for the color of the carpet and the upholstery on the bridge.

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

It is 40 Eridani A for Vulcan's star.

7. KRAD

*just noticed Rat Boy's sig*

*goes off into corner to eat worms*

8. Rat Boy

Oh, what sad economic times we're in if honest, hard-working novelists can only afford to eat worms instead of crow. :lol:

9. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

KRAD, quick couple of questions. Are you doing annotations for ASD, and if so, when do you expect to have them up?

10. KRAD

I've done through page 222 of the annotations. As to when I have them up -- I don't know. Carving out the time to finish them has been problematic, as I'm writing a novel, a manga volume, and two monthly comic books right now.............

11. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's it?

12. Rat Boy

Am I right in inferring from the text that Starfleet is planning on equipping a lot of their vessels with quantum slipstream drives other than the Vesta-class? Could we possibly see the Enterprise-E with one?

13. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

That is a long-term plan, though some ships are going to be more adaptable than others.

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished this book earlier this week. I had been reluctant to pick it up because I feared it would focus too much on President Bacco and I wasn't a fan of Articles of the Federation, and I wasn't all that bowled over by her Destiny scenes either, despite them being necessary. I also wasn't sure I would find Sonek Pran all that engaging.

I was pleasantly surprised. The Federation presidency stuff was kept to a minimum, Sonek Pran was engaging enough, and I liked KRAD's big-picture take of the post-Destiny landscape. It definitely left me wanting more of the Typhon Pact.

Since the Sisko/Tzenkethi novel might not see the light of day, hopefully they'll get fleshed out in the upcoming Typhon Pact series.

Question about the Kinshaya, are they supposed to favor bats or birds? Or neither. I got the impression they were a batlike species from their description, well that's how I pictured them anyway. Was that physical description also in "The Final Reflection" or an invention by KRAD?

The Kinshaya titles also seemed odd. So are do the military leadership hold military and religious roles? Is the Kinshaya govt. a theocracy?

15. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

which 2 comic books are you working on KRAD??

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not KRAD, but I do know he's been working on the Farscape comic books for the past few months.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Kinshaya were only briefly referenced in TFR, never seen. KRAD's description of them is original (and different from the one given in some role-playing game materials). To me, the description of the Kinshaya suggested that they somewhat resemble griffins.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was pretty much my idea to, actually. The thing I was curious about is what the set up for their controls and stuff is like. To the best of my knowledge we've never seen any ships designed for quadrupeds before.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Vomnin in Orion's Hounds were built somewhat like gorillas and were facultative bipeds -- i.e. generally walked on all fours (on their knuckles) but could take a bipedal stance when they needed to use their hands. Their ships were thus designed with the consoles and controls close to the ground.

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chris thanks for the link. Griffins work for me better than bats.