A Roddenberry Biopic

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by CRM-114, Jul 25, 2016.

1. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

Ain't It Cool News is saying that an independently produced biopic about Gene Roddenberry is in the works and is in the process of doing its final fundraising. You can read about it here:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75817

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully it is an honest depiction.

Kor

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That depends on the If the people behind it are still buying into the "worship & legend of Roddenberry" (including forgetting his many immorality issues) , or are they able to have the ability to look at the subject as filmmakers, but handling the material with a historian's view.

4. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't seem to work up any excitement about this project. We've seen Roddenberry's story from a number of points of view, and the real story is somewhere in all that soup. I just pick what I like and discard the rest. Besides, if the "highlight" video is any indication of the content — watching a middle aged man frakking middle aged women isn't my idea of entertainment. :thumbdown:

5. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

I would've thought there would be a little more excitement about this. Not that I'm necessarily excited, but I'm a little curious as to how it may turn out.

6. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I think it could be interesting. I'd at least watch it once.

I wouldn't say I'm excited, just that I'd watch it if it were presented.

--Alex

7. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Well, Gene was not, by most any definition of the word, a good man. The whole incident with Grace Lee Whitney springs immediately to mind, as does his treatment of Nichelle and Majel. Not to mention various script issues and writing "lyrics" for Alexander Courage's theme.

Top it all off, lots of Star Trek's good idea were from other people. Gene Coon, Dorothy Fontana and so on. Gene was an imaginative person, true, but any biopic that doesn't look at him honestly isn't going to have the integrity to be true art.

8. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Also, to bad Rober Forster is so old. He'd have been perfect.

9. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Be great to have a scene of Gene claiming the network didn't want a woman first officer and the first pilot was too intellectual, then follow it with a scene of the network brass refuting everything Gene just said.

Albertese likes this.