A question...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by UncleRogi, Mar 13, 2018.

1. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does the Masters' TARDIS like it's driver?

And if so, is it evil too?

:shrug:

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure

UncleRogi likes this.
  3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

He/she/it prefers the term "misunderstood genius."

ATimson, GNDN18 and UncleRogi like this.
  4. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good Gosh Darn Sir! I thought many posts would lead to this statement!

And to Wormhole: Excellent! ... or should I say "Brilliant"

5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It's one of those times where the show used to have it right with the machine being just a machine instead of an anthropomorphized sexual relationship. The makers of the show think all the sweeps week extravaganzas don't lead to issues that create more problems than good, and nobody's ever clamored for a show featuring the Master traveling the galaxy to screw up societies, much less seeing a very special drama involving the Master and TARDIS having soap opera-unworthy arguments.

UncleRogi likes this.
  6. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

The Master’s TARDIS(es) may merely be a psychopath, and just not give a damn about others.

UncleRogi likes this.
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gallifreyan society in general seems to consist largely of douchebags who just don't give a shit, so I wouldn't be scandalized to see this attitude in a TARDIS anyway.
    Eh? The TARDIS has always been implied to be alive or at least more than "just a machine." Sexualizing the relationship between TARDIS and owner is a new thing, though.

8. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

She’s more than just a machine. She needs to be coaxed. Encouraged. *hits the tardis*

Between this and the randomiser in Compassion, and what the Time Lords wanted to do to her, it paints a relationship between Time Lords and their created servitor race that is interesting, but very very uncomfortable. Having the Tardis choose the Doctor in some way (with the help of Clara...which is another can of worms.) helps mollify that a little I suppose.

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Could be a case of Stockholm syndrome, perhaps? But which one is affected - the Master or his TARDIS? Time Lords seem to tend strongly to the extremes of altruistic goodies or narcissistic baddies, but they (I include the Doctor and Romana because of their often condescending behaviour) appear to consider themselves superior to all other races including humans.

10. jaime

Well. They were here first. According to some of the canon, humanoids in general only evolve because Time Lords has that shape first, and set the morphogenic field for the rest of the galaxy.

Asbo Zaprudder likes this.
  11. Asbo Zaprudder

Ah, morphogenic field as per Rupert Sheldrake's theory - I haven't heard that term used for a long time. Even more reason for Time Lords to feel snooty perhaps.

12. jaime

This is why I call regeneration in the modern series an Artron Fart.
    There’s just so much fun stuff that barely gets a look in these days. Who was at its absolute peak as a narrative world before it came back xD
    The body of the Doctor as an n dimensional shell for a being that existed in more, ditto for the Tardis, the whole ‘universe without the Time Lords tries to evolve something to make up the gap’ all the metaphysics, the Pythia, Times Champion, Deaths Champion...Nine Gallifreys, etc etc. Shadows of it turn up on screen (its more blatant under RTD) but there’s this huge iceberg of stuff that’s been sort of...homogenised under Big Finish and the series. All of the Lawrence Miles stuff is supremely weird and timey-wimey before Ten has his first blink. (And further back than that.) and Roz is everything people keep think they are getting with new companions like Martha or Bill.

13. Asbo Zaprudder

Are the looms mentioned in Lungbarrow considered canon? Does anyone apart from a committed Whovian care? I kind of liked the idea that sexual intercourse for the Time Lords had essentially been relegated to a merely pleasurable act without any connection to procreation. The implicitly sexless nature of the Doctor, which apparently attracted some fans, was explicitly overthrown in the RTD and Moffat era stories, of course.

14. jaime

I doubt it, though at a stretch I think they could be. Yes we see Time tots, but they don’t contradict each other if you write well.
    The amusing thing about the sexless thing, is that when the universe tried to make some new time sensitives after gallifrey was wiped from history, it was basically tied to sex and mainly women (as an inversion of sexless mostly Male Time Lords) in The Adventuress Of Henrietta Street.

15. Asbo Zaprudder

I think perhaps sex died out among the Time Lords largely because the males seem to be mostly obnoxious a***holes with exceptions that include the Doctor and Professor Chronotis. The female ones generally seem cut from much better cloth - including the Rani but not Missy.

16. jaime

No love for Andred? Poor old Castellan? Flávia? That girl from traffic control? Drax? The inquisitor?
    I think it probably died out because of regeneration, three hundred years with a nice brunette, one accident with a headboard and a sonic screwdriver and suddenly things go all blonde, and they start taking their tea differently in the morning. Someone suggests spicing things up the bedroom, and before you know it you’re clapped up in Shada for breaking the first law of time, swearing blind that she said she a different person, and how ere you to know it was her younger self two incarnations back. That’s the true dark heart at the center of their time lord Paradise...they keep making sentient tools, and their Anne Summers range can get very chatty when the chancellery guards show up. XD
    It also explains why the Masters console room is fifty shades of grey.

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Could you imagine a TARDIS uprising? They all run away, en masse, in respose to their treatment.

I donn't know about the SIDRATs, they may not be as smart, but the TARDII could look out for them.

18. jaime

That’s pretty much what compassion did, hence the randomiser in her.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Audio or a book? I don't collect either, but I've heard or read the name somewhere.

20. Asbo Zaprudder

I like this analysis a lot.:biggrin: