A potentially powerful new antibiotic is discovered in dirt

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Snaploud, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

In a study published Monday in the journal Nature Microbiology, he and his colleagues report the discovery of a new class of antibiotic extracted from unknown microorganisms living in the soil. This class, which they call malacidins, kills several superbugs — including the dreaded methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) — without engendering resistance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...is-discovered-in-dirt/?utm_term=.7f075b2d13f7

This is really great news. I've read a lot if articles about how we are gradually becoming resistant to all the current antibiotics, so I'm happy to see we're pursuing some promising new research avenues in this field.

XCV330 likes this.
  2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

It's not a case of us becoming resistant but of some targetted bacteria being resistant and passing on that resistance by horizontal gene transfer and binary fission. I just wish we and our good bacteria were resistant as oral antibiotics generally give me nausea, stomach cramps and the runs.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    137th Gebirg likes this.
  3. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Calling it: some dubious online supplement supplier will start selling dirt.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

You mean Raw Earth Mineral.

Thowra likes this.
  5. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Soon to be sold on the Alex Jones radio show.

It'll increase your libido, make you younger, improve digestion, and your toilet bowl Spring-time fresh!

The run-off, however, may turn the freakin' frogs gay. ;-)