A New Movie Every Year?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Taylirious, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could Star Trek follow the Star Wars model and do a "Star Trek" movie every year? Like a prime movie every two years, and anthology movies in between? Is the audience there?

I want more Star Trek but not a bunch of TV shows overlapping.

2. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh dear lord, I hope not.

BillJ likes this.
  3. Taylirious

I'd be pretty excited if there was something Star Trek related in film every year. :shrug:

4. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not everything has to become a big Cinematic Universe with yearly releases.

5. Taylirious

I want my own cinematic universe DAMMIT!!! :D :shrug:

6. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Star Trek definitely needs to step up their movie output (3-4 year wait times are too much) if it wants to remain relevant and more than just another summer film, but I don't know it needs to be 1 a year, either. Maybe every other year, if done well.

Tai and Zonker like this.
  7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

There should be one every day.

8. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

quality and quantity...

Well, if the quality is not right I don't care about high quantity. I'd prefer they'd do something memorable for a change. And I'm curious how it will turn out for Disney with their yearly Star Wars... I'm not planning to watch the "in between movies".

9. theREVENGEofKAHN

theREVENGEofKAHN Lieutenant Red Shirt

Maybe if the new series takes off Paramount would be willing to do a prime universe movie and an alt universe movie alternating years. That probably won't happen though.

Ultimately just having something more frequent than every 3-4 years would be nice

Tai likes this.
  10. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing is, there are tons of movies released every week in every genre. Paramount Pictures released 14 movies last year, 10 in 2013, 11 in 2012, and are already set to release 13 in 2016 (one release so far). What's wrong with setting one or more in the Star Trek universe?

I've never been a fan of the idea that over-quantity was a bad thing, or that such a thing as "franchise fatigue" exists in the abstract. Every piece of artwork is made by creative people on their own merit, and should be judged as such.

If fifty Star Trek movies were released one year, to be absurd with the output, then most will probably be bad quality for sure. But the chances are higher that a gem will be hidden amongst the rabble.

I mean, Star Trek was and is a TV-first franchise. It's used to multiple releases every year.

11. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Multiple releases a year on a TV production timeframe. With movies taking over a year to produce at this point that means working on multiple movies at once. Make a last minute change in one movie and you have to deal with production changes and costs in a second movie. Decide last minute to kill/save a character, have fun explaining that in the next movie. The fans would scream at the continuity contradictions.

12. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fans would scream regardless.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd rather have a film a year than a new TV series.

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather have both.

15. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It sounds good on paper, but then you just get the same stale formula repeated every film. Marvel is starting to get stale, and Marvel has a lot more to work with than Star Trek.

Star Trek is a television series, not a cinematic universe.

16. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Why?

17. theREVENGEofKAHN

theREVENGEofKAHN Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ultimately its not so much a creative decision as it is a business one. They will make as many movies or TV shows as we the consumer are willing to watch. The "franchise fatigue" you speak of was the waning interest in what Star Trek as putting out in the early 2000's, to include what many considered a sub par movie (Nemesis) and a television series that lost a lot of fans in its first couple of seasons. Even though I liked both Nemesis and Enterprise, I understand why many fans stopped watching and as a result Paramount lost money and pulled the plug.

18. Tai

Tai Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My sentiments exactly.

TheSubCommander likes this.
  19. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Maybe they can do a TV movie every year, independent from the TV Series. That could work. The budget shouldn't be as high as a cinema movie, and they could do larger stories with some other crew. They could take advantage of the cast of the last 4 series, like we could have some TNG/DS9/VOY or ENT related mad for TV movies, or for streaming services like Netflix and CBS All Access.

20. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

The more Star Trek, the better it is. The quality should be good of course. I don't think this depends on the amount of Star Trek though. This notion that a good quality is only possible, if the quantity is low or that a low quantity guarantees a high quality, is in my opinion complete nonsense.

For example I think Into Darkness was a mediocre movie and they had 4 years to work on it and there was no other new Star Trek anywhere.

On the other hand DC and Marvel are producing so many movies and TV series at the same time. DC is stronger with their series and Marvel with their movies. Overall though in the last years they have produced so much great stuff. You just have to hire enough talented people.