Spoilers NO SPOILERS FOR CODA - A Lit-verse Grand Finale...What We Know (Spoilers for Entire Lit-verse)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Nov 8, 2020.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, guess it was maybe mentioned in QI, would explain recalling it.
    Dating is a bit odd, but maybe local publications before the nationals started?

2. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't necessarily rule out Tuvok on the Titan in future canon-productions, here.

Markonian likes this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think pretty much every version of Titan we've seen, the museum exhibit, the books, and the Hive comic have all had him as a member of the crew, so I wouldn't be surprised if the onscreen version included him too.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even Lower Decks? :D

5. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably that show in particular, I was thinking. ;)

Greg Cox likes this.
  6. Mike Doyle

Mike Doyle Commander Red Shirt

Has it ever been said “the plan” is novel based? Given some of the stuff in next weeks Disco could it be on screen?

Highly highly unlikely I know but... I don’t know how to do spoiler tags so won’t say anything more about what’s referenced in the sneak peak.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Plan is most certainly novel based, and the stuff about the Krenim in the latest Voyager novel is already confirmed as being related to The Plan. And while it's not impossible for stuff from next week's Disco to be incorporated into The Plan, the episode itself will not be The Plan. That would be the text book definition of tail wagging the dog, which even those involved with The Plan have staunchly stated will never happen in Star Trek.

Mister Spock likes this.
  8. Admiral Rex

Admiral Rex Lieutenant Red Shirt

Here is another nugget to add to what we know about the "grand finale" of the Lit-verse:

Kirsten Beyer was on our Positively Treks Book Club episode #55 about her Voyager novel, To Lose The Earth. When asked about a story decision in the book, she said that "it was one of those...things I had to do for other folks."

At the end of To Lose The Earth, Tom and B'Elanna decide to return to Earth and not continue on with Voyager.

She had to place these characters for the upcoming grand finale. So we know they will have some kind of significant role in it.

If you'd like to listen to her comment, it's at 42:43. We later have a lengthy discussion starting at 52:00 about the plans for the Lit-verse continuity and how she is the person who will help to bridge and stand in both worlds.

Show link: Positively Trek: 55: Book Club: Voyager: To Lose the Earth (libsyn.com)

Oz Trekkie, Tirius, borgboy and 7 others like this.
  9. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

That's very interesting news!

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Markonian likes this.
  11. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As an aside, earlier in this thread I mentioned Greg Cox's "Eugenics Wars" series as a work that probably would not have been possible in other franchises. Well, I had a little time on my hands so I decided to give that one a re-read. Anybody who hasn't read that work is hereby urged to do so. It's a rollicking good yarn, set (mostly) in the present day, replete with hilarious pop cultural references, such as this one: "Its dense double hull, modeled on that of a Russian Typhoon-class supersub, had also been reinforced with a unique impact-absorbing alloy found only in one remote and isolated African kingdom." That one flew right past me in 2002. So, if you haven't read those books, stop reading my words right now and get a copy of them. You won't be sorry. BTW, a passing familiarity with Robert Lansing's body of work can't hurt either.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled postings.

12. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, much as I'll regret the conclusion of the ongoing stories (and the lack of opportunity to dip a little back in the timeline of it and develop the new faces on the Enterprise and DS9 or wrap up something like the Pava transporter clone thing), I'm honestly kinda enthusiastic about the likelihood that the classic series will start getting some more in-series stories, going off Shadows Have Offended/Revenant. There's a "comfort food" element to the in-series styles, I've found - I've been running through the TNG/DS9/Voyager era of my novels lately, and just... I MISS this. Maybe not the overall quality of some of them, but the relatively low amount of in-series novels of non-TOS shows is - understandably, of course - a little frustrating. So I'm at least looking forward to that.

Granted, I'm fully aware that in tie-in terms, that there are as many as there are as is, to the point that there even was the option to tell stories that continued on after the conclusion of the shows they tie in to, is pretty impressive on its own, but...

USS Firefly likes this.
  14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had a similar reaction while reading the Voyager portion of No Time Like the Past.

DGCatAniSiri likes this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If this is the big Novelverse wrap up, I'm really happy it's going to be a trilogy and they're not going to try to rush things with a single book.
    We've gotten 20 years of stories in this version of the universe, and if it's going to end, then it deserves a big ending.

16. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My thoughts exactly!

17. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

A big multiverse story. End it like they do in the comics.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to confess, I'm still a little disappointed they didn't do something like this for the Star Wars Legends Expanded Universe. They way they just dropped that the moment the last pre-Disney stuff was released was aggravating.

Force Smuggler and ialfan like this.
  19. Mike Doyle

Mike Doyle Commander Red Shirt

Although I’m sure this isn’t what you wanted it could have been addressed in here.
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Whills_(short_story)

TheAlmanac likes this.
  20. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad to see pieces are falling into place for "the Plan".

I just want to ask, are we sure this is the 'end' of the continuing litverse? Is it possible they do something that makes it possible for the litverse to continue in some form? At this point we have very little information about what the upcoming relaunch novels hold. Is it possible they do it in such a way that makes future books possible?

Initially I inferred that a plan meant they were figuring out a way to continue the stories.

I mean, I think it's likely this would be some grand finale, but I haven't read anything that said definitively that this is the end of the relaunches.

If it is, I do hope they find a way to give us some closure for DS9. If I haven't said it before I was hoping to see a DS9 finale novel :nyah:. But absent that, it'd be nice if DS9 were included in some way and bring some closure to a few lingering plot lines there.

And I do continue to hope that someday the Enterprise relaunches might continue. That would be the one remaining litverse relaunch that could likely continue mostly unscathed.