Spoilers NO SPOILERS FOR CODA - A Lit-verse Grand Finale...What We Know (Spoilers for Entire Lit-verse)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I admit that sometimes I would have to study Morrison's scripts pretty carefully to figure them out, and I ended up telling the final chapters of the book in a much more linear fashion than in the original comic version 'cause I wasn't sure how to pull off all that non-linear storytelling in prose. It was a fun challenge, though, and how often does one get paid to write a fight between a brainwashed Wonder Woman and the Frankenstein Monster?

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That's fair -- same with the Deadman thing. It's been twenty-five years minimum since I last read Crisis, and things blur together and get jumbled about. :)

Ketrick and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  3. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And again, I ask, which novel? The joking is fun, but I am actually asking because I've either missed it or not come to it yet...

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

trampledamage and Enterprise1701 like this.
  5. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

"Elias Vaughn was also involved in events"

Of course he was

DS9Continuing likes this.
  6. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

As Stevil pointed out, David cgc answered you days ago.
    I will also add that Ascendance continued in The Long Mirage, which to date is the final novel exploring David R. George III's Bajor storyline.

Markonian and trampledamage like this.
  7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I thought that was too few books, but I kept thinking "The Long Mirage" was one of the wacky Quark'n'Odo adventures novellas.

Markonian and Enterprise1701 like this.
  8. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you, gentlebeings. When I was reading through the replies yesterday, I somehow missed David's original reply to me.

Markonian and trampledamage like this.
  9. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I missed the fact that Sisko is Coda! Brilliant!

10. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd say the only aspect that would need to be cleaned up so as to not be inaccurate in that super base synopsis is that the ancient evil is out to destroy all universes and that the universe that is "rebooted" is in fact a merged form of the final few universes that had survived to that point, replacing their distinct existences.

11. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As much as I liked Vaughn, if there were to be a Power Girl-type character, I'd prefer Prynn Tenmei, since she wouldn't exist in a Vaughn-less universe.

12. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

We had Guinan in Yesterday's Enterprise who has an inkling that something was wrong with the timeline.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  13. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, has it been confirmed yet if this trilogy is a de facto conclusion to the LitVerse, NovelVerse, or whatever before we switch over exclusively to books solely based on the post-DSC Star Trek universe or are the brass making the the decisions going to find some way to continue the LitVerse and "fudge" through the way that DSC and PIC pretty much overwrote a bunch of stuff?

Speaking only for myself, I tend to assume that the oldest Trek novels are no longer consistent with the TV shows or in the LitVerse continuity, with the same going for the numbered ones (since a lot of those were not even designed to be in continuity with anything other then themselves and the TV shows/movies that existed at the time of publication).

Of course, seeing how the LitVerse was never as airtight as other franchise tie-in programs (like how Star Wars publications are intended to fit together into a larger whole by default), I never really gave that much thought to how many of the pre-LitVerse books could still fit into that version of of the Star Trek universe (and seeing how I liberally stole stuff from the old books during by ill-fated attempts to GM Star Trek RPG campaigns, I can certainly get borrowing an element from an older work without intending that work as a whole to be part of the world of your story or considering the implications of that.)

Greg Cox likes this.
  14. Stevil2001

I'm not convinced you would call something "Coda" if you intended further installments!

15. Mike Doyle

Mike Doyle Commander Red Shirt

While I don't believe there will be a continuation I'm not sure this logic works.

Logically it may be a story about the end of a specific thing in a narrative that will continue. As an example ST: Voyager Season 3 Episode 15.

16. Stevil2001

Ha, fair enough.

17. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Guinan inside the Nexus should still exist, so the new Treklit Guinan should sense something has changed?

Reanok, Kilana2 and Allyn Gibson like this.
  18. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been way out of the loop as far as new novel developments go outside of the new TV tie-ins.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the releases we're seeing this year are going to be the new normal, then we are going to still be getting books for the earlier shows, but they'll be going back to stand alone books set during the shows.

DS9forever likes this.
  20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if any future in-series TNG/DS9 novels will include some novelverse characters who were "always there" but never came to the forefront until post-Nemesis?