Spoilers NO SPOILERS FOR CODA - A Lit-verse Grand Finale...What We Know (Spoilers for Entire Lit-verse)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm sure nobody is seriously proposing they will. They're just kidding around.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. I will be sorely disappointed if Detective Chimp does not make an appearance.

ToddCam, TJ Sinclair, Ketrick and 6 others like this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd count it since them since several of them connect back to the Prime Novelverse.

4. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

It depends upon whether one counts all mediums and all works, whether narrative or non-narrative.

I am WAY behind Peter David (45 novels) and Michael Jan Friedman (36 novels), and likely will never approach their aggregate output (especially if we add in short fiction and comics). They are the giants who walk among us; I doubt Trek shall see their like again.

If we're counting everything, then I'm probably in fourth place behind Dayton Ward (who, in addition to prose fiction, pens non-narrative Star Trek tie-in books, such as the Travel Guides and Kirk Fu, etc.) and the very prolific writers who pen the comic books (though that's kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison; I can draft a comic-book script in a matter of days; it takes me months to write a novel. I'm not sure how to weight comics vs. novels for fairer comparison.)

If we count only full-length novels (and treat collaborative works as a full credit, regardless of the number of partners) and exclude short fiction, I think I'm in third place (Oblivion's Gate will be my 29th Star Trek novel, and Moments Asunder will be Dayton's 23rd).

If we include novellas, Dayton adds 14 Star Trek credits to his total, while I add 7, putting him ahead, 37 to 36.

If you add short stories, his lead widens: I add only 3 credits, while he adds 9: score now, 46 to 39.

If I get credit for co-writing two episodes of Star Trek: DS9, it's 46 to 41.

If you count non-narrative books, I gain 1, while he adds 3: 49 to 42.

Add in comic-books, he adds 2 issues, while I add 4: 51 to 46.

So, unless we count ONLY full-length novels, I am in fourth place behind Dayton. I can say I am the third-most-prolific author of Star Trek novels, but that's a mighty specific niche.... ;)

5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Kidding around? :)

If anything this is their Flashpoint. A big story that used to end one timeline to bring forth a new, inferior one.

Scout101 and E-DUB like this.
  6. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Detective Chimp, of course, being a derogatory nickname for Captain Calhoun's new Xindi-Primate Security Chief.

7. David Mack

FWIW, I've never even read "Crisis on Infinite Earths." I couldn't have copied its story beats even if I wanted to, because I have no idea what they are.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

You know he will now don't you ?

9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a 12 issue comic maxi series in the mid 80’s set in the DC universe.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  10. David Mack

My "they" refers to the unique, individual "story beats" that constitute the structure of the narrative. I was vaguely aware that it was a multi-issue crossover comic-book event.

Brefugee likes this.
  11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If you wanted story beats of Crisis, the best person to ask would be Bob Greenberger, who edited it for DC back in the day.

My dime version would be -- ancient evil from dawn of time out to destroy the universe, heroes unite to fight evil, heroes fall in fight, heroes fail in fight, more heroes come in to fight, universe gets rebooted, heroes make one final stand, ancient evil defeated. Vastly oversimplified.

I think the thread is joking more about the tropes of that kind of story, where there's usually a character who remembers the universe that came before (like Psycho Pirate or Deadman) and a survivor of a doomed timeline who now no longer has a past (like Superboy [who dies soon after], Power Girl, and the ghost of Supergirl). Oh, and some wacky character who ends up being more important than anyone suspected. (In Crisis, I seem to recall that Captain Carrot got used a fair bit.)

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, there really is a hollow moon which plays a part in the DS9 novels.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to be mistaken for the planet that turned out to be a giant egg from New Frontier.

Ketrick, SolarisOne and Jinn like this.
  14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which should itself not be confused with the Doctor Who episode which revealed Earth's moon was in fact a giant egg.

Ketrick, Elwro, Jinn and 1 other person like this.
  15. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I absolutely love how well you’ve analyzed this. Thanks David!

Ketrick likes this.
  16. casey

casey Commander Red Shirt

Speaking of dangling moon plotlines, I want a resolution to the story about the giant moon size founder God dying in Worlds of DS9.

I've always been curious about the ramifications of that (assuming I'm remembering it correctly).

Jinn likes this.
  17. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I am familiar with the original Crisis. I suppose this will be is a timeline reset, versus merging universes and rebooting.

18. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Where was it established that Deadman remembered the Pre-Crisis DC Universe? When he met
    the ghost of Supergirl
    in that Christmas story, he had no idea who she was.
    I reread 1985's Crisis on Infinite Earths a year or so back for a podcast when the CW was doing its version of Crisis on television, and as far as I can remember, Captain Carrot didn't appear in it at all, not even as a cameo. While Captain Carrot's world had previously been established as yet another parallel Earth in the DC Multiverse (Earth-C), DC intentionally kept it clear of Crisis so that they could do future Captain Carrot stories. In fact, artist & writer John Byrne periodically tells a story about how when DC Executive Editor Dick Giordano first pitched the story of Crisis to him, he said, "We're going to be getting rid of all the parallel Earths -- Except the one with Captain Carrot, of course!"

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55536&mobile=FULL

So you may be thinking of Captain Carrot and the Final Ark, which tied in with 2009's Final Crisis storyline. (@Greg Cox, was that one that you novelized?)

TheAlmanac and Greg Cox like this.
  19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yep. I novelized a couple of DC Crises, actually: Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, plus "52" and "Countdown to Final Crisis."

Can't remember if I included Captain Carrot or not. :)

trampledamage and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  20. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks. I knew you'd done a few of them, but honestly all of those more recent Crises tend to blur together in my head now. (And my sympathies for you trying to make sense out of Final Crisis. I'd been reading DC for 30 years by that point, and I was pretty much lost. I gave up on the comic series around issue 3 or 4. Grant Morrison is a talented writer, but his stories can get incomprehensible at times.)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Ketrick likes this.