A change bigger than the Klingons...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Roald, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see it everywhere now, from here to Facebook, even to YT comment sections: yesterday’s trailer has set in a BIG change for DSC... the general opinion has shifted from ‘this is not Trek, Orville is better’ to ‘This looks incredible, can’t wait to see it!’.. for the first time, the haters seem to be in the minority..! I think this signals a major shift in how the general audience perceives DSC..! (With general audience I mean the internet community as a whole).

RedAlert likes this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The haters have always been the minority

RedAlert, Blamo, Pindar and 20 others like this.
  3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's amazing the wonders you can do by walking back on some of the less-loved aspects of season 1. People are so desperate for better that it doesn't actually matter if it's good. New Coke.

RedAlert likes this.
  4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

It was already good.

5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Another sign is to see how deep the detractors have to dig to make a point to say "It still sucks!" They won't deviate from their opinion ever, so you have to go by how far they have to reach.

nightwind1, JoeP, XCV330 and 2 others like this.
  6. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know, but based on what I saw on YT, IMDB, RT etc you’d think not a soul was loving this show

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

But be prepared to still hear the stupid fanwank criticism.

nightwind1, JoeP, lurok and 2 others like this.
  8. Attentiveluke

Attentiveluke Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

well lets see if the general audience/internet community are willing to pay for it...

9. Apparition B5

Apparition B5 Commander Red Shirt

I've tentatively resubscribed to CBS All Access via Amazon Prime Video. I really like what I've seen from the two second season trailers thus far, but if I see any more gore or graphic violence like in the first season, I'll be gone again, and for good this time. I'm really, really tired of gore and/or graphic violence permeating television these days.

10. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course they will, if only to bitch about having to pay for something in order to hate-watch it.

nightwind1 and JoeP like this.
  11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember that casual fans don't bother talking about something they like 24/7. They watch, they enjoy, they move on. It's only us ultra hard-core fans who keep on, and the ones unhappy about it will be bitter forever, up against a few fans while the majority of viewers are watching the next thing.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How else will CBS know how wrong it is?

13. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is correct. Their loud and obnoxious and incessantly repetitive nature make them appear far more numerous and organized than they really are.

Supremely evident given that we've spent 18 hours primarily talking / arguing about fucking beards and haircuts. Think about that for a minute… A new trailer has broken that displays tons of information about where season two is heading. And yet we've allowed ourselves to be mis-directed into talking about beards and fucking haircuts. We spend too much time allowing ourselves to be mis-directed.

We fall hook, line and sinker for the routine constantly. The detractors grasp at straws (absolutely inane, stupid, irrelevant shit like the lighting levels on the bridge sets or the shape of the nacelles on the ships) and the supporters all come running like someone just threw a giant Christmas ham into the middle of a bunch of starving people.

The two or three posters who do it here constantly must be laughing their asses off! :rommie:

JoeP, Lord Garth, Cyrus and 1 other person like this.
  14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I thought for sure this was going to be another thread about Spock's beard and how it spits on Gene Roddenberry's space grave.

Relayer1, TribbleFeeder, JoeP and 3 others like this.
  15. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

The trailer they showed last night at comic con was great. Also this is a cast that is truly engaged and feel a responsibility toward the material. Those were some of what I took from it. They didn't even want the question period to end and wanted to keep going. I was sort of looking forward to season two before the panel, now I am at warp 9.

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Perhaps Georgiou wasn't the only one that snuck over from the MU. I smell another S31 conspiracy!

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  17. Scargate

Scargate Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Why are people trying to rewrite history in this thread? The people who disliked Discovery disliked it MAINLY because they didn't consider it to be well written, believed it had a muddled plot, and thought it relied far too much on needless plot twists everyone guessed ahead of time. It lacked focus and good storytelling. The execution of ideas wasn't there. The general look of the Klingons or anything else didn't help matters. But people being positive of the show now who weren't previously show that people WANT to like this show. And any small change toward the better gives people hope it will be good.

It's fine if you enjoyed the writing, the storytelling, the plot... and the new visuals and inconsistencies that others were annoyed and frustrated by last season. But to say a minority found problems with the show and a vast majority loved it is ridiculous. They wouldn't be doing showrunner roulette and producer musical chairs and changing so much if that was the case. (Even giving Klingons hair is an insane compromise that's completely unexpected and shows someone is listening, and not just to some minority group of fans.)

I know this and other minor changes gives me hope that if they're going to fix something like that, then there's hope they're going to come back with far better writing and stories. And if they don't, people will have the same complaints about the quality of the storytelling like they had last time.

Showing the Enterprise crew in different uniforms, Klingons having hair and slightly less makeup, a lighter tone, not showing the spore drive at all are all things they didn't need to do, show, or change, but they did, and I think that's why people are hopeful at the moment. If Discovery starts spore driving around the universe an episode in, which is very likely given the set up in the trailer, then maybe people will start complaining again. But with the show making small steps here and there, there's at least some trust back that they'll find a reasonable way to end that tech by the end of the season.

18. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Perhaps what/who ever the "Red Angel" turns out to be, it becomes the reason the Spore Drive is eliminated?
    :shrug:

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know it's interesting I just did a rewatch of the Orville and I actually found I liked my rewatch of Discovery better. I'm not sure if that speaks to the quality if the shows but I still contend the more time away from the original premiere the better a show gets. I think that's what happened with Discovery. I saw things in Discovery I appreciated more, while the Kelley/Ed stuff felt repetitive.

I still like both shows for what they are but I think the comparison if both have become distracting and kind of tired. Both shows bring something to the table that everyone can enjoy.

Vger23 likes this.
  20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Nope.

JoeP and Vger23 like this.