A Burning House/Kurn question ***SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Paris, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just finished A Burning House, loved it btw:klingon:, but IIRC, Rodek/Kurn had a family (not sure how many kids) when he was Kurn. The future Alexander from TNG S7 asked young Alexander if he had ever swam at his uncle's lake, this assuming he didn't mean another Kilingon who they called "uncle" (someone close to the family like Lorgh or Noggra). And I think Kurn mentioned a family in DS9's Sons of Mogh. If this is the case, does anyone know what happened to them. Again, its possible i'm remembering it incorrectly...

2. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to Memory Beta, he had a wife, and at least one daughter.
    http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/Kurn,_son_of_Mogh

The site also says
    Its possible something happened, that after they lost their place in DS9 that the parents split up, and now that he has a new identity...

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Memory Beta's assumption is just that, an assumption. All Alexander said was that Kurn had no male children. That doesn't mean he does have a female child. In fact, there's nothing onscreen that solidly proves he has any offspring or a mate.

4. HIj'Qa

HIj'Qa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So when K'mtar says Alexander's cousins would like to meet him, who is he referring to?

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Now this takes us to the question of whether Worf had other siblings besides Kurn.

And that, too, is canonically unexplored. All we know is that Worf was the last survivor of his House, as far as he knew, until Kurn popped up. In theory, Worf might have had a whole horde of brothers and sisters who all perished either at Khitomer or then long before it, in the twists and turns of violent Klingon life. Yet their offspring might have survived the massacre just fine - but they wouldn't count as House of Mogh any longer.

Really, while Klingons by biology live long and thus might favor small families, Klingons as a culture live short and active lives - so one might expect them to breed like rabbits, and to start early. How many children would young Alexander already have in DS9 if he weren't so burdened by issues?

Then again, technically Alexander could have cousins (Klingon and human) from the mother's side as well, making the above statement a non-issue. And human (or other UFP species) cousins, from Worf's foster family's side, when we count second and third cousins.

Timo Saloniemi

6. Paris

When K'mtar says that Alexander's cousins would like to meet him, I took it to mean that he meant Kurn's children. Not cousin's from K'ehylar's side. Did they ever say on screen whether it was her mother or her father who was the Klingon? Or if she even had family left in the Empire? Was she from a noble house?...and after reading Art of the Impossible, I was under the impression that Mogh and Kassin only had Worf and Kurn. I know this doesn't mean it's canon, as it didn't happen on screen, but TLE was designed to fit into continuity; so much like the post-nemesis books that are coming now, I do consider it as close to canon a possible without truly being canon...:klingon::klingon::klingon:

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I, too, would prefer to believe in KRAD's work in full. Then again, Klingons are notorious for hiding or denying the existence of relatives, so there might be surprises left there. ;)

Timo Saloniemi

8. Paris

Illegitimate children are a hallmark of the Klingon Empire, so I guess you never know. Mogh could have had a whole slew of children with an unnamed commoner or something. But if that were the case, then they wouldn't be recognized as "cousins" by the true family. Maybe K'Mtar meant the children of Lorgh's children or adopted children like Toq :klingon:. Only more stories starring our favorite Klingons can tell us for sure...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  9. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

"Cousins" could mean 2nd or 3rd or 4th cousins -- Kassin could have had siblings, and there's possibly wiggle room in TAOTI to suggest Mogh wasn't an only child. You would think, if the House of Mogh is as old and venerable as suggested, its history would be longer than three generations, and there are multiple other branches around the Empire.

10. Paris

This does make sense. Noble House's would most likely be bigger than two guys. Since the House of Mogh lasted as long as it did, with neither Worf nor Kurn representing the House (2346-66?), one would assume that the House would have been disbanded if it didn't have other living members. Since the House wasn't disbanded until much later, it would make sense that there were other members in those years. I wonder what happened to all those theoretical members from the House of Mogh? Perhaps a future KRAD story can postulate/extrapolate...:cool:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've also been wondering if there are any other (former) members of the House of Mogh wandering around. I've also been wondering, would the other members (if ther were any) and holdings belonging to the House of Mogh been absorbed into the House of Martok too, or would they have just had no house?

12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

The House of Mogh lands were seized, so anyone who was part of the House was left without a House. Kurn was among those cast out, and he wound up on Deep Space 9. We don't know what happened to everyone else.

Yet.

:klingon:

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. Paris

Indeed. Hopefully sooner rather than later:drool:

15. foravalon

foravalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

K'Ehleyr was human on her mother's side and Klingon on her father's, the opposite of B'Elanna. The question of her family in an interesting and unexplored one I believe. Peter David's 3rd Starfleet Academy book would seem to imply that K'Ehleyr was raised among Klingons but then she did become the Federation Ambassador to Qo'nos, a fairly prestigious position, so it may be that she either has dual citizenship or that she's a Federation citizen who was raised for at least part of her life in the Klingon Empire.

16. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't Armageddon Sky (DS9's Day of Honor entry) feature exiled people from the House of Mogh?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, the exiles were from the House of Vrag. Although it was implied that they and the House of Mogh were treated the same way by Gowron.

18. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Though the back cover declares them as House of Mogh exiles, I believe...

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, the cover blurb says they were "exiled...for their loyalty to Worf's dishonored family" and that their "honor bade them to keep their pledges to the House of Mogh despite the orders of the Emperor" (sic -- it should be Chancellor). So they're not members of the House of Mogh, but allies thereof.

20. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, okay. It's been a while since I'd read the book or the back cover.