83rd Annual Academy Awards Show: Discussion/Commentary

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by AstroSmurf, Feb 25, 2011.

1. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the discussion and commentary thread for The 83rd Annual Academy Awards Show.

[​IMG]

The 2011 Oscar Show is being televised on Sunday, February 27 and co-hosted by James Franco and Anne Hathaway.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2010 will be presented on at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center, and televised live by the ABC Television Network beginning at 8 p.m. EST.

[​IMG]

With awards presented by Amy Adams, Annette Bening, Halle Berry, Kathryn Bigelow,Cate Blanchett, Russell Brand, Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin, Sandra Bullock, Robert Downey Jr., Jake Gyllenhaal,Jennifer Hudson, Hugh Jackman, Scarlett Johansson, Mila Kunis, Jude Law, Zachary Levi, Alan Menken, Mandy Moore, Randy Newman, Gwyneth Paltrow, A.R. Rahman, Hilary Swank, Justin Timberlake, Marisa Tomei, Florence Welch, Oprah Winfrey and Reece Witherspoon.

For more information about the nominations and the awards please visit the Official Website for The Academy Awards.

[​IMG]

It’s that time of year again so here we are with the glitz, the glamor and all of the ridiculous Hollywood showboating. And you have to admit, it just wouldn’t be the same without this pinnacle of the movie business and entertainment awards to talk about on Monday at the water cooler. Between the dresses and the politics, the Oscars always prove to be an interesting evening to either gobble up or lampoon. So come on, tell us what you think of the nominations, the winners, that hideous dress someone was wearing, or if Bansky will show up.

I also hope you will join us for a running commentary on the night of the show.

And remember to enter the http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=137210 The Academy Awards Nominations Game!

2. AstroSmurf

Anyone here for running commentary tonight? Sound off so I know who is here.

And my first quip of the evening... I hate these red carpet interviews. I don't mind the actors but the people doing the interviews are vacant sugar-coated idiots, talking heads but without the head.

So far on the red carpet Mila Kunis, Armie Hammer, Jennifer Hudson and Amy Adams looked amazing.

3. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm here! I hear you about the red carpet interviewers. For the most part, they're pretty lame.

4. Kira's Mom

Wow. Jesse Eisenberg is short. :lol:

I've seen all ten Best Picture nominees. I still say The King's Speech is the best, with True Grit second and Black Swan and The Fighter tied for third.

5. AstroSmurf

Cate Blanchett just blew me away. That dress was amazing. Of course not everyone will feel that way.

And speaking of Jesse, he looks about three inches tall beside Armie. :rommie: But Armie is like a giant... a great big blond delicious giant.

As for best picture, I haven't been able to see everything myself so I can't say who should win.

6. AstroSmurf

Scarlett J looked like she was dressed by blind hobos. Her hair looks to have been dipped in motor oil. :cardie:

And I love the fact that my dear sweet Helena Bodham Carter just does what ever the hell she wants. I loved her outfit because it is just her.

7. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I don't think i've ever watched one of these in my 31 years of life. I just really don't care, however I was happy when Heath Ledger won for TDK. I don't see why any of these awards really matter, but whatever. One thing I will say, I HOPE "The Social Network" DOES NOT WIN! If it does, it will just boost that douche bag who "invented" Facebook already inflated ego. It would be great to see "Inception" win something, but that won't happen. I think this may be my only comment on the Academy Awards, we will see.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've always disliked the red carpet stuff. In a night that's pretty much all about superficial stuff, it's the most superficial of all. I never tune in until the actual ceremony starts, anymore.

9. AstroSmurf

^ I just tune in to make fun... and to have fun. They may take it serious but that doesn't mean I have too.

Helen Mirren kills me. She was just discussing loosing her underwear with Helena. Her dress was also brilliant.

10. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

The King's Speech will win best picture. God, it's a brilliant, heartfelt movie.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  11. AstroSmurf

Gwenyth Paltrow looks like a tv dinner. Christine Bale looks like one of the hobos that dressed Scarlet. Wow.

12. AstroSmurf

The show starts in ten minutes! Anyone else show up to play?

13. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Looking forward to the ceremony to start. Don't really care about the red carpet that much.

14. Kira's Mom

Nice opening montage.

15. OdoWanKenobi

Showtime/

16. AstroSmurf

I am laughing my ass off... and a little more in love with James Franco. May he visit my dreams in a white leotard. :drool:

But for real... that opening was awesome.

17. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Back to the Future reference. WIN. That was awesome.

18. OdoWanKenobi

Anne Hathaway :drool:

19. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

That was well-done.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That was a pretty cool opening.