41,763 Hurleys Win $150 in Mega Millions Lottery

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Locutus of Bored, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Awesome, although it's not a good idea to play a popular series of numbers like that if you intend to win big.

These people should keep an eye on the sky for stray meteorites. ;)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtYB9Y0vkOo&feature=related[/yt]

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

There's no rule that says you can only have one thread on a subject for the entire board. There are people in Miscellaneous who might not post in GTV&M. I rarely post there. Plus, since this is real world news, it also applies here and not exclusively to GTV&M.

4. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I think it's cute, even if they didn't win all that much. Alas. I don't really have a set of numbers that I'm attached to.

I can picture Hurley yelling at all of them for playing the numbers though. :lol:

5. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently he did - or, rather, Jorge Garcia did:

(From the L.A. Times story.)

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's hilarious.

LA should brace itself for a massive meteor shower. :eek:

7. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rarely play the lottery unless the jackpot is obscenely large. On a few occasions I was tempted to play The Numbers. And then I envisioned this scenario and reconsidered.

Not that it matters. Even if this weren't a "true" drawing of the numbers, the odds against it happening in my lifetime were still ridiculous.

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

yeah that was dumb, why play numbers that loads of others are playing, even if you win, you win small, not big.

9. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But even if you play your own numbers you never know how many others play that set.
    A friend of mine won once by having 5 of 6 + the bonus,, but because so many had the same numbers he played it was only $47,000+ normally its somewhere between $130,000 to $160,000.

10. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

But the odds of winning small are a lot better than the odds of winning big. I'll take $150 if I can get it!

11. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh. We recently had some Chinese takeout, and I laughed when I turned over my daughter's fortune and noticed the lottery numbers on the back: 4, 15, 16, 23, 31, 42.

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

this is true of course, but at least your not playing numbers you know thousdands if not millions of others are playing. You know people are playing the Lost numbers, I think it came very close to it in the UK lottery.

I also agree the odds are very low, which is why I only play a handful of times a year.

13. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If playing lotto is anything more than a really rare thing for you, you could just not by lotto tickets and you'd probably save a lot more than $150.

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

It is rare actually. Just a bit of fun.

15. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't have a problem with playing Megamillions twice a week. $104 dollars or so a year and you might win millions.... pretty good trade off.

16. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Something similar happened in the UK lottery some years ago. All the numbers were below 31, which meant lots of people playing their/family birthdays as their numbers won. I think the jackpot was about £15 million, split more than a thousand ways. Still a tidy sum, but you'd still be a bittersweet I'd have thought.

That'll never happen to me. My numbers are spread out. I use the same ones every time, because a choir of singing and dancing monks with a fondness for ABBA tunes told me to play them in a dream. THAT'S the way to pick numbers, fools.

17. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How many times have you, or someone you know, been struck by lightning and survived?