3D Prints - follow up

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by The Axeman, Jun 16, 2010.

1. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

I've been away from Trek for a little bit as i got sidetracked back into the game I grew up with - Elite! I've been playing Oolite, the latest fan-made update of the game, and have also been roped in to helping make a new version of Elite-2: Frontier that is called Pioneer. I've therefore been making lots of low-poly game models and trying to convert them into game objects with varying degrees of success.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/axeman3d/sets/72157624284027744/

Anyway, I thought I might try getting the classic Elite Cobra MkIII space-ship made at Shapeways.com for my desk. I've made a small version and had it printed, along with a couple of guitar knobs to check I've got the sizes right for putting it on a 6mm volume knob. I need to thicken up the base a little as it's a bit flexible right now, but apart from that I'm very pleased. The material is a lot better than the Alumide I used to make the USS Kilimanjaro print, and almost as good as their white detailed stuff. Next up I think will be a much larger Trek model and a much larger Elite ship, either a Cobra, Viper or maybe even a Python. I'll get it in white detailed material and see about painting it up.

2. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks very cool. Please keep us posted on your upcoming experiences with Shapeways.

I've not worked with Shapeways before, but in 2007 I had an original design 3D-printed by a firm called PrintaPart. I was satisfied with the test, but I was too busy with grad school at the time to follow up with any more tests. I'll probably do some stuff with Shapeways in the near future!

3. The Axeman

You definitely need to pick the right material for the job, I've learned that. You also need to know what size you can get away with, and to do that you really have to print small test objects like these. These only cost me about $20 delivered to my door, so not much more than ten quid in real money. Worth the effort. I've looked around at other 3D print sites, but none match the ease and pricing of Shapeways yet. I'll keep looking though.

4. Birdog

Birdog Commander Red Shirt

That little ST ship was only about $20? Awesome. I'm a drafter with pretty good 3d skills...I have ideas...:devil:

5. The Axeman

I'm intrigued by the idea of printing something with joints and moving parts. I've seen little turbo and turbine engine prints with rotating fans inside, and some poseable doll ideas. Makes you wonder if a Mech is possible, or something like a hangar bay with working doors or sliding panels.

6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I'm thinking a bridge set or other interiors from my Poser sets ... :D. They're already broken out into sections, and at the right scale, they might be pretty cool :).

This might be a good way to get into the 'garage kit' biz - design the parts digitally, print the masters, clean them up as needed and then cast them.

7. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

Axeman - I saw in Popular Mechanics about 2 or 3 months ago that Jay Leno had printed an exact copy of a working wrench (there was a picture of it). He also uses his printer to replicate parts that are no longer available for his cars.

That being the case, I don't see moving parts being a problem. You can see the article (and a video) here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/jay-leno/technology/4320759?click=main_sr

Food for thought.