32X13 The Wedding of River Song (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Mitty, Sep 25, 2011.

?

What did you think of "The Wedding of River Song"?

1. Hello Sweetie!

47.2%
  2. Jimmy the Fish

31.8%
  3. Picnic at Asgard

9.1%
  4. Too many eyepatches

8.0%
  5. EXTERMINATE!

4.0%
  1. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I've never started one of these, but hey I've been here longer than most of you so I figure it's high time. And it's probably a bit early but you know what... who cares. I had to get in before the others who were always doing it wrong ;)

And as for the "season numbering controversy" it turns out that ALL of you are wrong. This isn't season 6, or even 6.5, it's season 32. There was just a slight gap between seasons 26 and 27.

So, the official synopsis:
    [​IMG]

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, I believe it should be season 32.5....

Cool picture though, has a good "movie poster" vibe.

3. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking forward to it, and I like that the photo clarifies whether Amy and Rory will be central to the plot. I'm beginning to think the idea of them leaving was just misdirection because Karen Gillan was reportedly spotted filming the Christmas special. Doesn't really scream being reduced to a minor character to me ...

In any case, there are SO many questions waiting to be answered. The wait will be insufferable!

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, why is it with this TV Program thing, they only parse out a measly hour per week, and you have to wait for weeks to get through the story ;)

Definitely can't wait, the Coda really whet my appetite for the finale...Arrrggggghhhh, it's still almost a week away

5. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I don't imagine anyone thinks they were actually leaving at the end of The God Complex. Any more than I can't imagine anyone thinks the Doctor will actually die forever this week (though I'm sure there's probably some naive soul out there who thinks this is the final episode of the series). If Amy and Rory were leaving for good last week, then that would be very poor storytelling. What it was instead was a "fake departure" the same way Tegan "left the series" at the end of Time-Flight only to return in the next story and pick up as usual. Now whether they continue as ongoing characters after the finale, that of course we don't know yet.

Alex

6. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

as long as it doesn't have a bloody .5 then i'm happy! :bolian:

7. Sindatur

Yea, that's why I think "Rory's Choice"/The Girl Who Waited and The God complex were kinda shown in the wrong place. They would be a perfect 2-Parter to send them on their way. Now when they really leave for good, will they be milked too far? Or was this a way to "refresh" their storyline, and stop pushing the same "I really do love you" trope so much (It's been a lotta great moments, but, I'm not sure it can be kept fresh much longer)

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Not quite... so long as everyone leaves the silly matter alone, then we'll all be better off. :vulcan:

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

You really started a thread six days before the episode just so you could have the season thing set up the way you wanted? I could at least ignore the .5. 32 is just confusing considering it follows a string of episodes with a 6 in them. What do the DVDs say? I'm sure they don't say Series 32.

Anyway, the episode should be fun. I'll come back in six days.

10. Mitty

Yep :rommie:

11. Sindatur

Actually, I think it's cool to pay tribute to continuation by calling it Season 32 for the Finale. Canon has been established with the old Series, I accept separate numbering (If stated as such), or combined numbering

12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

^Go you, I think you deserve a gold star.^

At least when someone like Timothy opens a thread like this nearly a week early he doesn't really know better.

You could have opened this thread on Friday evening or even Saturday morning and still have the same results. To open it six days before broadcast though to make a redundant joke about the season numbering is airing on the side of a not very nutritious proceed meat that's big in North America.

13. Mitty

Wow, tough crowd.

14. Neroon

Let's keep this focused on the EPISODE itself. Forget the numbering. Lay aside the questioning of the OP. Actually talk about the upcoming series 6 finale. :vulcan:

It strikes me that this episode has similar parts eager anticipation and doubts that it can succeed. For my part, I can't wait to see it if for no other reason than to see how the Doctor's death is resolved.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

SFX has a spoiler free review up on their website. Their insinuation is that you'll either love the resolution, or be majorly annoyed by it...which to be honest is what I was expecting! They also say its really good, but to be honest thsy usually do!

Ah they'll soften up once they've had a few drinks ;)

16. Neroon

Funny but that seems to be the reaction overall to this entire series - as if there's not much of a middle ground. My guess is that I will love it, or at the very least enjoy it until I eventually grow to love it.

17. Mitty

To be honest I found the resolution of last years finale a bit wishy washy... eg The Doctor has to wipe himself from history to save the universe, but leaves enough clues behind so that someone remembers him and then magically he reappears. I would hope that the resolution this time round is a bit more "solid" than that was.

It always irked me who River could end up at Amy's wedding (even more so now we know who she is!). I don't think it was ever explained how she got there.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Surely now we know who she is it makes even more sense that she'd show up at Amy and Rory's wedding :)

I do agree with you on some levels with regards to the Big Bang, I thought it was half a good finale, the second half curiously, which was mainly down to the performances, oh and though it doesn't make a lick of sense I thought the whole 'something old something new, something borrowed something blue bit' was fantastic!

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah that's my hope too. Though I thought the first half of the series was a bit flat, the second half has been fantastic (nar Nigh Terrors) and I'm really hoping the wedding of river song is in a similar vein.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

based on my so-so feeling for the majority of episodes for this season, I expect I'll be dissapointed by the resolution, but such is life. And I did note the tip of the hat with the numbering system. Though I think the whole .5 thing is more of an American thing than say a UK thing, As sometimes in America half seasons would be released on DVD and be numbered 1.0 and 1.5 whilst in the UK we would normally get an entire season in one. So perhaps this is where it started to creep in.