Spoilers 3% - New Brazilian Netflix Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skipper, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From Wikipedia:

From IO9:
    Here's Why You Should Be Watching Netflix's Brazilian Sci-Fi Series 3%

2. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Queued. After Marco Polo S2 perhaps? Or maybe after Orange is the New Black S4. Or The Crown S1. Anyone got a spare Time Turner lying around??

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the first season. I imagine it will need a bigger budget if we get a second season, but the director sure knew how to use what he had for season 1.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Just finished this. It was very good, although the premise was a bit too reminiscent of a "reality show" for me. I also had some conceptual quibbles, like, how come the Process didn't have better methods of checking candidates' identity against their registration (or even bother to check behind their ears)? But it was an interesting story, and the character work was good. The technology design is interesting too, some nice subtle bits of futurism and worldbuilding. And one good thing about it being Brazilian is that the cast is very diverse. It was also interesting getting to listen to the Portuguese dialogue. It's not a language I've heard spoken much, but I was able to recognize a lot of similarities with what I learned in high school Spanish. (I gather the English dub is very poor, by the way, so it's best to watch it in the original language.)

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

^I didn't realize there was an English dub. I'm glad that wasn't the default. I enjoyed the Portuguese with English subtitles.

6. Christopher

^I think the English dub was the default. I had to set it for Portuguese with subtitles when I started out.

Probably a coincidence, but it occurred to me partway through that the colors of the candidates' tunics were like a dingier version of Starfleet uniform colors -- red, gold, and blue.

7. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I wasn't sure at first if the colors meant anything, but it never seemed to become a plot point.

8. Christopher

It was probably just so the group scenes of the candidates would have some visual variety to them. Or to put the actors in the colors they looked best in.

Still, there could be something we overlooked. There was a lot of subtle worldbuilding here, information that was evident in the details of the design and tech but that never really got directly focused on or explained in dialogue. Like how it wasn't until the very end that we learned the significance of the implants on the 3-percenters' arms and why their clothing was designed to keep them visible. And it took me a while to understand that the rings they wore were computer interfaces and data storage drives (so the bit about "a magic ring that holds memories" wasn't just talk).