29 + 11 in 6 = Done.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by SFRabid, Apr 11, 2010.

1. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

Last night I finished my quest of watching all of star trek in 6 months. What a rush, literally. 29 seasons and 11 movies. I was watching a season a week on DVD and finished with a movie a night. For the most part I went in order except I got ST IX and X reversed and watched Data die before he went crazy, and I watched STXI as soon as it came out on Blu-Ray.

Overall my feelings are...

• There are no bad series, only bad episodes.
    • Voyager was better than I remembered.
    • I found myself thinking "I should skip this" more in the first two seasons of TNG than any other time.
    • Just like the series, TNG movies got off to a slow start and then got better.
    • Most every series and movie has things you can pick apart. It is better to just relax and enjoy the ride.
    • When you watch a series at your own pace from DVD you build an attachment to the characters that helps you get through some of the bad writing.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: 22 + 11 in 6 = Done.

That's super cool.

Was there anything that you found drastically changing your mind on something? Going into an episode remembering hating it, but it not seeming so bad when you zip through them like that? Liking/disliking characters or story arcs more because of the speed in which you watched?

3. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, must have been quite a six months. Personally, I can't watch that fast - I watch a few episodes then find myself needing a break. Did you watch Enterprise first or last?

4. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Wow, I'd go insane watching that much Trek at one time (especially during VOY- I've seen almost every episode in the series). I personally wouldn't have spent the extra money on the Blu-Ray version (it already looks just fine on normal DVD IMO), but it sounds like a blast!

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought it was twenty-eight seasons?

* Enterprise - 4 seasons
    * Star Trek - 3 seasons
    * The Next Generation - 7 seasons
    * Deep Space Nine - 7 seasons
    * Voyager - 7 seasons

Or 29 if you count the Animated Series. Or did I miss something?

6. SFRabid

Oops. You are correct. 29. You would never know I have a minor in math. :alienblush: Maybe a nice moderator will fix the title?

It was a cold winter and not a lot on TV that kept my interest so I was watching 2-3 episodes a night and more on weekends. On average around 1 1/2 seasons per week. I slowed down during the NCAA basketball tournament but by then I was down to only needing to watch the movies. I was not just sitting and watching. I worked on crafts, practiced piano, and at time watched episodes on my laptop while a game was on TV. I had everything on DVD but TAS which came from Netflix. The TOS movies and STXI on Blu-Ray.

So did my view about anything change during that time?

• Voyager and Janeway. I liked them much better this time around. VOY is still #5 for me but it moved much closer to the others.
    • TNG. Worse than I remember. Dropped to #4 for my enjoyment.
    • I forgot how bad some of the movies are.
    • Canon is a dart board and the writers have blindfolds.
    • DS9 and VOY seem to have the fewest "liberties" taken.
    • I'm sick of the words radiation, polarity, temporal, and reverse.

7. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't follow. What sort of "liberties"?

8. SFRabid

With canon.

9. happydave

happydave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Animated Series is 2 seasons even if the 2nd season is only 6 episodes.

So it's actually 30 seasons total.

10. SFRabid

Thanks. I know there are 22 total episodes of TAS but I did not realize they were split across two seasons. It is usually referenced on the forum as one season but I see Trek Nation shows the breakdown.

11. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I'd buy TAS if I could find it in shops anywhere, lol. I have nearly all the rest of Trek on DVD, and plan to complete the collection sometime. To me, there's 30 seasons, too! :P