2018 Olympic Winter Games in Pyeongchang

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Kilana2, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in it, but ony a few days left until the Games are officially opened.

Some of the athlets from Russia are still fighting for their right to participate.

2. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Watching the opening ceremonies rerun now. The opening presentation by host country South Korea was impressive. My favorite part in the Parade of Nations: Pita Taufatofua!

3. Kilana2

There was one guy who appeared topless at the opening ceremony.

As to Eurosport... I came home from work just to watch the finals of today..... Just to be spoiled by vids played between commercial breaks. Thank you very much....:shrug: :censored: :devil:

4. Kilana2

I just heard that the German Ice Hockey Team has beaten Canada to enter the final. Must be very disappointing for the Canadian fans.

5. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

It took almost the entire games but I finally understand curling.

RTOlson likes this.
  6. Kilana2

Curling was not on my radar until they cought the Russian guy who was doped.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So About curling, if you have more than one rock in the circle, is that more than a point? Basically each end represents a team on offense and another team on Defense.

8. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

If both are closer then the other teams stone it would be more.

I think....

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We're pretty into curling here at my house. The USA gold makes this my favorite Olympics in a long time. The skip (capt.) sucked the past two olympics and said he didn't want his son growing up seeing higlights of him choking. We were down 2-4, won three straight against top teams to make the medal round.

I digress. Both teams throw from the same end of the rink, about 50 yards long. There's kind of offense and defense happening all the time, but both team would like to be the one that scores in an end (inning). Whichever team has the stone closest to the center gets to count any of its stones that lie closer than the nearest of the other team's. Each is 1 point. The colors on the ice just help the players judge where and how hard to throw.

It's like chess and billiards. On ice. Both throwing and sweeping are very hard. Hope you liked it. I enjoy it because as a spectator I can hear and see the shot they're trying to do and watch it materialize at a speed slow enought to see it happen. Or not. Some of the shots they pull off are amazing. If you want to see more, the Canadian men's world series called the Tim Hortons Briar will be on ESPN3 (online) in about a week. Each province sends a team.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Might have to try curling, they'll soon be a curling rink opening near me in the next few months. It'll be one of less than a handful in England.

11. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The UK team (Scots) is usually among the best. Dates back to the 14 or 1500s there, playing on frozen lochs. The granite for all regulation stones is still quarried from Scotland. I've never played, but grew up seeing it occasionally on Canadian TV (I lived in Detroit); 8 years ago I would have it on my TV in high school and my son and friends would come in to see the ends of matches. He's a big fan with his own favorite team (Canadian women's Team Homan) and a big styrofoam curling stone to wear on his head.

Hope you enjoy it. The top level people are all friendly with each other and officiate their own games with sportsmanship, still!

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I couldn't watch the game because I was at work, but yes, I was disappointed. I actually ended up watching the gold medal game and was cheering for Germany. They were so close to winning it all. I'm sure the Germans were just as disappointed at their loss to Russian. Still, it's Germany's best showing in hockey yet, so congratulations to them!

I didn't follow the Olympics too closely this year but I did hear a lot about Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. Their last performance together featured a Tragically Hip so song and I thought that was pretty awesome considering what the group, and Gord Downie in particular, means to Canada. Here's a link to the performance if anyone is interested: https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/highl...cott-moir-pay-tribute-gord-downie-gala-skate/

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Curling is awesome.

I was so sad for Pancake and the other Garlic Girls....

They gave it a good run though.

As for the men, the Mighty US Team....looked like a group of butchers from New Jersey that got lost on their way to bowling night.

:lol:

14. Kilana2

It was one of the best Winter Olympics for the Germans ever. And for Norway, too. Somewhat disappointing for the USA, though. They are going to have a better haul at the next Summer Olympics.
    Ester Ledecka winning the female Super G as a snowboarder was a surprise. Most of all to her.
    Ski Jumping: former jumper Sven Hannawald, who commented for Eurosport, almost destroyed the reporter booth in jubilation. On the other hand: constantly screaming reporters can be unnerving at times.

15. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

When will this be on? :-)