2013 Hugo Award Nominations

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The 2013 Hugo Award nominations were announced today.

In the Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form category, all three of Steven Moffat's Doctor Who stories for 2012 were nominated -- "Asylum of the Daleks," "The Angels Take Manhattan," and "The Snowmen."

Unlike last year, where Game of Thrones was nominated en masse for Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form, this year Game of Thrones has one episode up in Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form: "Blackwater," the penultimate episode of the season.

Rounding out the category is Fringe's "Letters of Transit."

Honestly, I think Game of Thrones will take the statuette.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope it's Fringe or Game of Thrones that wins. But the fact that only the first of those three Moffat eps was any good makes me afraid that the vote won't be spread as thin as I'd like.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Honestly, I have to agree. I think Game of Thrones has the best contender. Moffat's selection this year, while good, are not his normal high caliber.

4. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, "The Angels take Manhattan" has got no chance, I'm even surprised it's been nominated. It was way too flawed.

"Asylum of the Daleks" had the potential to be one of the best DW episodes ever, but threw it away by trying to do too much in too little time all the while having the running-around-to-appear-fast-paced that Moffat always does (yeah, I know they did that a lot on Classic Who, but they didn't have the budget to do other action, while Moffat does have the budget, and uses it, but still adds lots of running-around).

"The Snowmen" was Moffat's best christmas special, yet, it might have had a chance.

But, ultimately, "Blackwater" was way too big and good an episode for anything else to have a chance against it. Maybe they should hire him to write for DW.

*cue outcries of: "Oh, no, that would make him finish Ice & Fire even later!"*

5. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't that episode of Fringe from 2 years ago? (season 4) Wouldn't it have made more sense to nominate it for last year's Hugos?

6. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The Hugos go by calendar year, so that episode, which aired in April 2012, wasn't eligible until now, and it hadn't even been shown when last year's nominations were announced, never mind during the actual nomination period.

7. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Ah, okay, that makes sense. :)

8. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm behind on both Fringe and Thrones, but while I liked two of the Who episodes (Angels has too many flaws to even be in the contest), the alternatives would have to be very weak before I'd got for any of the Who nominations.
    Nice that it can still get three nominations with only six possibles, but would be even nicer if you still looked at the Who nominations and thought 'Can't we give three awards?', like in 2005.

9. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

I've only seen the Doctor Who episodes, so I can't comment.