17 Borders stores closing

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by CaptainDonovin, Nov 20, 2010.

1. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read today that a store in Michigan & in New Jersey will close in Jan. Didn't see where else but givin' their HUGE selection of Star Trek books (:rolleyes:)what will people do?!

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Not entirely unexpected given the financial trouble Borders has been having lately, but seventeen all at once could be a serious blow to people in various areas.

The closest book store to me was a Waldenbooks, and when it shut down I pretty much turned in my Borders member card because the nearest Borders store was too far away for me to go to on a regular basis. Wound up going exclusively to a much closer Barnes & Noble after that. Books I can't get at B&N, I get online from Amazon and other retailers.

Heck, I picked up my copy of Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game at a local grocery store in my area today...

3. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What "huge selection"? Most of the Borders locations around here average less space devoted to ST (and more devoted to reactionary politics) than the local B&N locations.

I definitely miss the (pre-Borders-takeover) Waldenbooks/Brentanos chain.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

With the roll eyes smiley in his post, I think CaptainDonovin was being sarcastic about Borders having a huge selection of Star Trek books...
    :lol:

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's definitely not good. I usually go to Borders for most of my paperbacks. This definitely makes me glad I got my Nook. Although from what I've heard B&N is having it's own problems.

6. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

Yeah... my local B&N closed. Guess I get to rely mainly on Amazon and B&N's website for my books. And the occasional trip to the mall, unless that bookstore's one of those closing too.

7. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Don't know that I've ever even seen a Borders. My town used to have a "Bookland" in its mall, but that closed years ago...my main source of books was the local Books-A-Million until I acquired a debit card and registered an account at Amazon.

8. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the 4 Borders in San Francisco closed last month. Still don't know why they thought having 3 of those stores so close to each other I could talk to the all from my office during lunch. But them I'm not a business man...

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're lucky. My mall hasn't had a bookstore in it for years.

10. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For those of you out there with .edu accounts, you should look into Amazon Student which is essentially a 1 year free membership in Amazon Prime (free 2nd day shipping on eligible items). It's a very convenient way to buy your trek lit.

11. CaptainDonovin

I can't remember the last time I was in a Waldenbooks, the two malls I have gone to lately have either Borders or B&N.

12. CaptainDonovin

It was a combination of being sarcastic as well as taking a shot at Borders. I've complained here about it before as well as at the store, they just look at me like a deer in headlights for the most part. I'll have to look next time I return to my closest one but I think even the Star Wars section has shrunk.

As for B&N the last time I was in one here the didn't have any larger of a selection of Trek than Borders.

13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Borders rebranded the Waldenbooks stores as Borders Express a few years ago. But they're effectively the same thing.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Last I noticed, they're still called Waldenbooks in my neck of the woods, although they are Borders-owned.

15. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

the barnes and nobles in our town that carried the most trek got killed by the flood.
    so far as i know the borders will stay open/
    though its trek selection is bad it does have a decent sf section.

the big news is the closing of davis kidd. at one time it was the book store.
    but the original owners sold it years ago to a chain indpendent booksellers out of ky.
    they lost a lot of the genre customers though years ago when they moved to a mall and shipped most of their genre stuff to the basement and cut the selection.

and since it was no longer locally owned some didnt feel a sense of loyalty to it.

16. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

OUrs used to have two, then Waldenbooks closed... there's another mall within driving distance that has a B. Dalton's, or at least it did. Haven't been there in years. I do remember that store tended to be a bit behind with books, at least SF ones.

17. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

I have to drive 45 minutes to get to a book store, so I just order online. Saves me the hassle. Plus I get it as soon as possible.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^That's the one disadvantage to going the e-book route, I have to wait for the official release date to get the new Trek books.