#1 news story of all time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RobertScorpio, Feb 4, 2009.

?

#1 news story of all time (potentially)

Poll closed Feb 14, 2009.
  1. Contact made with intellgient life in outer space

53 vote(s)
    62.4%
  2. Jesus has returned (i know some of us don't believe..but hey..what if?)

23 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. JPL labs have announced they have constructed a Time machine

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Dinosaurs have been discovered on a remote island..including a TREX!!

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. A cure has been found for all forms of CANCER!!!

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Potentially

What would be the most incredible thing to happen on this list? Meaning....if they broke TV broadcast and broke the news of the following events, it would be the most important news story of all time....

2. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

when they find the answer to the meaning of life
    or
    when we find out that we're not alone in the universe

or something along that lines

3. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I just published the poll and that is one of the choices...so please vote...and good choice by the way...

Rob

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Bones positively identified as remains of Jesus of Nazareth."

Not that such a thing is possible - what would you use for reference to ID - but you wanted "big."

5. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

huh..wow..again, that is one of the choices, though in mine, he is alive....go ahead and vote...

Rob

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Practically speaking, "(insert major western city) has been destroyed by a nuclear detonation."

7. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

An Independence Day-like alien invasion probably couldn't be surpassed (especially since they'd kill us all for sure unless they use Windows95 on their spaceships).
    "Obama assassinated" would be on the front page of practically every single newspaper and breaking news on most tv channels worldwide.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Since there are poll options, I'm definitely going with Jesus.

Granted, he would need to prove that he is Jesus (maybe with some fancy magic tricks...or maybe the Apocolypse), but I think this would be the biggest story ever, especially for non-believers like myself.

9. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

The reveal of who shot JR.

wait...

10. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Yeah..even I, the OP, haven't voted yet. I can see your point but I also see the Alien intelligence as well...I am leaning ALIEN INTEL because if there were a real Jesus it would mean that we are the center of the universe and all that and that, but it means the ultimate answers spring from something that has a connection to us..our God..

Intelligent Alien life would trump that because, more than likely, it would discount all religions and would also show us that we are not alone in the universe..

Rob

11. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

It was Sue Ellen!

Rob

12. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I think you miss Dennis' point.

Your option offers proof of Jesus' divinity, which would be an admittedly big story. Dennis' version speaks of proof that Jesus didn't rise from the grave, but decomposed like everyone else... and therefore was merely mortal, and not divine. Again, a big story, but totally different social and religious impact, and totally the opposite of the poll's available option.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Eh, maybe I've been watching scifi too long, but I honestly can't see myself getting that excited over alien life.

14. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Monica Lewinsky's blue dress.

15. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Good point...but I believe proof he is real would be far greater than proof he wasn't...more people don't believe in his existence as 'God's Son' than those who do. So the majority of the world would just say "told you so".

But if he 'came back', and all that rapture stuff came with him, then that would mean bad times for all the rest who didn't believe, supposedly. That would be a rough time...

By the way..I went with Contact with Aliens by the way....

Rob

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait, there are BIGGER news stories out there than spotting Britney, Paris and Lindsay out on the town together?

17. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

finding dinosaurs on a remote island would be my big story cant say id be too bothered about contact with alien life

18. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

They use the new time machine and find out Hitler wasn't such a evil fuckhead as we thought... he was talking to someone on the phone about an engineering problem plaguing the proposed design for a jet-fighter and he suggested eliminating the screws as they were causing all the problems... but due to a lousy connection (look at the technology of the time!) the other person heard "eradicate the Jews" and the rest is history.

...while I seriously doubt that was the case it would be fun to take that time machine back and observe major historical events without the tint of history.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The biggest news of all time was the first Moon landing. From that list, it would definitely be contact with intelligent alien life. :cool:

20. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Christian Bale shouting at a DP?
    ;)