Your Love For Amok Time !!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Nero's Shadow, Jan 31, 2012.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

it's funny, I read that too quickly and saw it as Gerald Ford's contribution to "Amok Time."

2. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

I loved that bit. That episode was a good look into who Spock truly is as a being. I've watched it several times and it never gets old.

3. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Never thought of it but again you're right, Warped9. Astute observation!

Everything worked right in that episode. Yeah, you really did feel the heat on Vulcan when you watched that didn't you? I did!

The writing was beyond excellent and plotting was was good. Pacing did slow down a little prior to and during the battle scene...my guess was to make it last the full 25 minutes.

The actors did seem a bit confused during the Vulcan scenes...maybe the action was a bit too alien for them, but Nimoy was on his game and definately in the zone.

The look on Nimoy's (and Maj's) face were priceless.

I can watch it over and over and over and over...

4. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course, it had the benefit of being written by one of the "Grand Masters" of sciene fiction, Theodore Sturgeon. How could not have been excellent?

Sincerely,

Bill

5. mJanette

mJanette Cadet Newbie

Leonard as Spock is my only love.
    Too bad I was born too late. But he's still number one for me.

6. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always figured that Sarek was betrothed to someone first, then probably widowed, and was then free to marry Amanda. The events in Star Trek V would actually go to support this idea.

7. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Okay, conceded. I knew I had some memory/concentration impairment, but this alarms me, that I didn't put that together for myself. I wonder why the "action" seemed so much more blatant to me with Amok Time, then. Maybe it's because the whole episode revolves around the fight, rather than its being just one of several events in the plot. Maybe it's because it was the first appearance of that famous fight music...

8. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He actually said "tha'gh'erll," which as we all know is Vulcan for "bondmate who spurned me for a fellow officer."

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Uhura: "She lovely Mr Spock, who is she?"

Spock: "She is T'ramp ... (**sigh**) my wife."

:)

10. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

^Clever! :guffaw:

11. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

Aww, come on, surely she wasn't that bad?

Rest of fandom in a thundering chorus, "YES! Yes, she was!!!"

Hmmm, maybe you're right. ;)

(Was testing an on-line friend's makeup textures and decided to depict an even more provocative T'Pring.)

Sincerely,

Bill

12. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I can see your point, but I don't think those conditions are met by this episode. The duel is an integral part of the episode, as it showcases an aspect of Vulcan culture and is not presented as gratuitous or in any way "tacked on" just for action value.

13. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

So good it went on to spawn an entire crop of imitators and passed into the ranks of "trope"... :)

14. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

IIRC they did indeed.

And T'pring was
    the "big bad" behind the secessionist movement
    in Diane Duane's excellent novel "Spock's World"

15. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

A fact that was made abundantly clear to Spock repeatedly as a child, as evidenced in "Yesteryear" as well as JJ's movie.

16. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that if T'pring looked like that; Kirk would have knocked Spock out cold before the first gong's echo had faded.

17. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Oh yes. She finally noticed that having was not as pleasing as wanting; it was illogical but often true.

(Spock's World is brilliant, by the way.)

18. Ziriath

Ziriath Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Frankly said, I hate this episode.
    Vulcan society is dumb and the whole story illogical. At first, there was a telepathic bond thingy, which turned out to be totaly pointless, since Spock got rid of pon farr when he 'killed' Jim and haven't even touched T'Pring at all. (That's good. If he really married T'Pring and then jumped with her behind the nearest bush, the moments after would be quite awkward for Jim and Bones, and inappropriate for 60's show). When some physical activity, like fight or so, was enough, he could have cured it just by running through the circular corridor on Enterprise, until he drops on the floor from exhaustion . And why it should be necessary to kill Jim? It seemed to me more like a hypnose. T'Pau mind-melded with him, and then he got mad, when 'koon-ut-kal-if-fee' was said. He calmed down, when she yelled 'Kroikah' and got normal, when he 'killed' Jim.
    When I saw this episode for the first time, I was quite shocked. I used to think that Vulcans are smart and developed. And then THIS. A woman as a goddamn PROPERTY of someone else? WTF?! And they call themselves logical? As a girl, I was offended by Amok Time.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's called irony.

20. sevenstars

sevenstars Captain Captain

My attention wanders during fight scenes. For me, it was all about "are our ceremonies for outworlders, Spoke?"

None of it made a lot of sense if I thought about it too hard. But I think I just loved that, underneath the Vulcans' public persona, there were apparently eons of craziness, aptly embodied by Celia Lovsky.