Your latest purchases, cont.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Goliath, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing so decadent, unfortunately. I'm a very large man--both tall and wide--so I need a very large umbrella, and only golf umbrellas do the trick.

I do want to pick up a nice one, at some point, for when I'm dressed up, and I welcome any suggestions. But right now I just need to keep off the rain.

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure, fair point, and golfing brollies are big enough to do that best.

If you want a dressy one at some point, the usual suspects are Smith, Brigg and Fox. I have a Smith myself, their one-piece/solid-stick version. The extra good thing about them is their shop is wonderful to browse, and they'll also cut the brolly to your specific height for no extra charge (important for a shorter fellow like me!)

Shipping to North America for brollies is unreasonably expensive though (due to the odd dimensions) so I'd wait until you're next in the UK before getting one unless you can find a US/Canada supplier, and then carefully check it onto your flight back. Talarico is an Italian maker well-known for their quality umbrellas, if you happen to be in Italy before the UK.

3. Goliath

Well, as it happens, I plan to be in the UK in August, on a research trip. And even in Oxford, at some point, for when the University Press launches my book. So now that I know what to look for, I will definitely do some umbrella-shopping. Thanks! :techman:

(Once I've got the essentials covered, though, I really must give some thought to carvings and unusual materials, as you say. Do they make sword-umbrellas? :evil:)

ETA, after web search: Holy shit, they do! :lol:

4. Holdfast

Make sure to drop me a PM when you're in Oxford. I'll buy you a drink to add to the celebrations of the book launch!

Re: sword umbrellas - they're cool. I found a great one in Chinatown in San Franscisco some years ago and almost bought it before realising it would be pretty tricky to get on board a plane....

5. Goliath

Will do!

6. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

New Sketchers.

7. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

Splashed out on my first ever DSLR and went for the Canon 550D with a 18-135mm lens in the box. Got a great deal on it, as they've released the 600D this March. Stretched my legs with it earlier this evening, and it looks just fine, factoring for my rather basic skills.

For Goliath and Holdfast... happened to stroll by this place as I made my way to Covent Garden:

[​IMG]

I've been passing it for years, and it's surprisingly well populated!

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bagels and cream cheese

9. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

A few Under Armour polos. Summer, it be upon me.

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Two Black Keys' songs, off Amazon.

11. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I hadn't bought a new watch in a very long time. Don't really need another one (have a handful of nice ones)... but I'd been wanting to get a watch that I could wear in the water and not have to worry about. Then somehow I was reminded of the Casio G-Shock. And so I went looking around on-line...

What the HELL? Casio went nuts since the last time I bought a G-Shock (in the late 80's)... there appear to be many dozens of G-Shock models to choose from, in different colors too, and many more different ones in the past (since discontinued). It's a world that I didn't know existed. They even have a line for women called the Baby-G. :D

Anyway, I found a used one for a terrific price off "that auction site", a Gulfman GW-9100. It's a super looking watch, light weight, and highly functional. Solar recharged. Atomic synchronization. Pretty cool what they can do with watches these days. :)

12. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

For myself, a needlepoint kit to occupy a bit of my time. An elaborate initial, white on a black background, which I will eventually have framed as a gift for the nurse friend who has been taking care of me at least part of almost every day (and who refuses to be paid, except for overnights).

For my FFH (friend and former husband), a desperately-needed new Toshiba laptop. He's my other caregiver. I've been staying at his house for a month now; will be here until I can take care of myself at home.

13. Holdfast

Hey, any shop that advertises "life preservers, swagger canes and swordsticks" in its signage deserves to be well-populated! And seriously, the staff there are really helpful.

One day, I will have to see if they sell Penang Lawyers, just for the hell of it.

14. Goliath

*Puts shop on list of places to visit*

I don't have a Penang Lawyer, but I do have a rungu--an East-African knobkerrie.

I keep it in my office, for dealing with particularly thick-headed students. :evil:

"Study, study, study--or bonk, bonk, bad kids!"

15. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Dana's Valley by Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan
    The Solitary Envoy by T. Davis Bunn and Isabella Bunn
    Dragonseye by Anne McCaffrey
    Dragonsblood by Todd McCaffrey
    A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Bought my mother in a law a linen blouse and purple T shirt from Coldwater Creek. It came to 74 bucks. Poor Hubby nearly had a stroke.

But hey, it was his idea to take her shopping.

17. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

The old ones kinda fell apart while I was wearing them so I got myself a pair of seasonal footwear.

[​IMG]

18. Lunarflower

Lunarflower Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Twenty Star Trek books at a library's bookstore. All for only $6.50.

19. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have just ordered two books

The Good Muslim by Tahmina Anam. I have just finished reading her first novel about a family living in Bangladesh in 1971. This book is about the same family but a few years later and the son has become religious.

Quarry by Johan Theorin. Swedish crime mystery. It is a pre-order so I will have to wait a few weeks for it. I love Scandinavian crime fiction and my three favourite authors - Arnaldur Indridason, Johan Theorin and Karin Fossum - all have books coming out in the next few weeks.

20. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bought a lot of goodies while I was in New Orleans- a cookbook, strings of novelty Mardi Gras beads, and t-shirts. This is my favorite:

[​IMG]

Beads!

[​IMG]