your ideas for new Starfleet technology

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by kent, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Lorna

Lorna Lieutenant Commander

Gives individuals the freedom to go where they want and when they want at a fraction of the cost and without the need to wait for transport ships. How many people in Trek can afford to own ships? how many Starfleet ships or bases can afford to let out shuttle craft for a single person on a long journey?

What if someone is on a ship in deep space and needs to return to Earth? the ship isn't going to turn around for one person and certainly wont give away a full shuttle craft for one person unless it's a really good reason.
    Instead they can be given on of these deep space transport pods.

Imagine I'm on Starbase 327 and I need to get to starbase 189 for a meeting, there are no direct transport ships and using a shuttle craft for one person isn't worth it or maybe they're needed for more important things. I could slip into one of these transport pods.

They could probably build several pods for the cost of a shuttle.

2. The Inquisitor

The Inquisitor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Might work better as a dedicated individual escape pod. Wouldn't want to run into a Borg cube traveling on my own, asleep and with no weapons! Could serve as a very handy auxiliary craft though.

3. Lorna

You could be in a Galaxy Class starship and it's still inadvisable to run into a Borg cube.
    In fact it's probably safer travelling in one of these deep space pods because it's so tiny and less detectable.

4. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

That's a valid question, and I don't know exactly how common ship ownership is given how little we know about how the economy supposedly works in Trek. We've seen on many occasions a variety of civilian and commercial vessels, so Starfleet is only one entity.

True, the ship might not be able to turn around or give out a shuttlecraft, but they may be able to meet other ships or bases on their existing route. And they have transporters. So there are several options available to the traveler.

I would imagine, barring any sort of communications issue or bureaucratic issue, that you'd already have some form of transportation arranged for something like a meeting. Certainly you could use something like the pods you describe, but then you could choose to travel in an airplane's luggage compartment instead of paying the full cost of a regular ticket. That would hardly make it an equally viable option compared to buying the ticket.

5. Lorna

How often do you think transport shuttles traverse between starbases and outposts?
    Do you think there was a regular shuttle from DS9 to starbase 143? that just would not happen.

6. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I don't know the answer to that, but if the sort of trading and commercial business DS9 got on a daily basis (not to mention actual military/Starfleet business) is any indication of a norm, I'm sure there are ships making some sort of regular runs between planets and outposts.

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

how about Earl Grey chewing gum?

8. Lorna

DS9 was different than regular Starfleet starbases and outposts, surely we can agree on that. The wormhole alone brought the majority of the traffic.

9. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's wrong with scotch-flavored? Actually, earl grey flavored gum sounds very pleasant and fresh.

10. Lorna

In other words lemon chewing gum. I think it's already out there and we're in the 21st century.

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

earl grey doesn't taste lemony.

12. The Inquisitor

It has a subtle infusion of bergamot orange my dear boy, to be taken with a squeeze of lemon, not milk.

13. Lorna

Of course it does, it's lemon flavoured. I drink the stuff all the time and it says it's lemony on the box.

14. The Inquisitor

It has no lemon in it. Trust me, I live for tea (and star trek of course). The taste is bergamot with a hint if citrus, lemon can be added to taste afterwards.

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i'm drinking a cup now. not lemony. maybe your tea has been spiked.

16. Lorna

Look, Bergamot is a type of Orange but it tastes more Lemony than Orangey. Perhaps I have more powerful taste buds than you lot. :p

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

how about anti-metaphasic chewing gum with embedded bio-neural nanocrystals that changes flavor as you chew. you could chew your way through a three course meal.

18. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My favourite post of 2010

19. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. skree

skree Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

To C.E. Evans
    LCARS software is eventually gives way to SAGE software.
    What is SAGE?